• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2017 10:39 am
[OP]
Jul 23, 2013
77 posts
290 upvotes
Hamilton

[Amazon Canada] Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer $199.99

Great little device for those interested in or starting out 3D printing. I've been eyeing this device for a while now and yesterday it was at $300.

It usually retails for around ~$350.

Reviews are good and it comes built right out of the box.

It looks like this is v2 based on the model number (121711) and comparing that to the list of devices at the bottom.

Edit: Price is at $199.99!
Last edited by SimonQ on Oct 25th, 2017 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
203 replies
Oct 15, 2009
405 posts
230 upvotes
Awesome, have been waiting for a consumer affordable model but kind of forgot about it. What's the learning curve like on the applications required (Autocad I assume?). Will I be able to learn to design and print spare parts without dedicating all my spare time to learning how? I am not opposed to learning, just want to gauge some sort of time investment requirement.

Also, does this printer take standard refills or will I need to seek out some sort of chinese branded refills that may not be around next year?
Nov 9, 2010
660 posts
667 upvotes
Montreal
curlyface wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:13 am
Awesome, have been waiting for a consumer affordable model but kind of forgot about it. What's the learning curve like on the applications required (Autocad I assume?). Will I be able to learn to design and print spare parts without dedicating all my spare time to learning how? I am not opposed to learning, just want to gauge some sort of time investment requirement.

Also, does this printer take standard refills or will I need to seek out some sort of chinese branded refills that may not be around next year?
In the lowest form of using the printer visit https://thingiverse.com/ then just search and download the 3d models that you like.
In the simplest diy 3d model creation visit https://tinkercad.com/ and sign up to use the free tool. It's a browser application that is like dropping down building blocks and defining their sizes. Use combine and hollow/hole feature to join and remove sections of your model to get the right design and then just import it to a compatible 3d model format found in the menu.
Once your more experience and feel limited by tinkercad, you should visit https://autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview. It's free as long as your not making 100k/year or something off of the designs in the software. It's kind of like tinkercad but with more features such as giving your shapes rounded edges.
Oct 15, 2009
405 posts
230 upvotes
azn0Richard0 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:36 am
In the lowest form of using the printer visit https://thingiverse.com/ then just search and download the 3d models that you like.
In the simplest diy 3d model creation visit https://tinkercad.com/ and sign up to use the free tool. It's a browser application that is like dropping down building blocks and defining their sizes. Use combine and hollow/hole feature to join and remove sections of your model to get the right design and then just import it to a compatible 3d model format found in the menu.
Once your more experience and feel limited by tinkercad, you should visit https://autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview. It's free as long as your not making 100k/year or something off of the designs in the software. It's kind of like tinkercad but with more features such as giving your shapes rounded edges.
Thanks rich! will do some research myself too
Aug 15, 2012
92 posts
16 upvotes
Winnipeg
Great price for a great printer. Picked one up on prime day and am having a blast with it. Print quality is very good with the only limiting factor being the small bed area but that is expected.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1622 posts
142 upvotes
Winnipeg
darga18 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 11:29 am
Great price for a great printer. Picked one up on prime day and am having a blast with it. Print quality is very good with the only limiting factor being the small bed area but that is expected.
How much was it?

Contemplating it, but black Friday is coming up.
Mar 20, 2015
101 posts
37 upvotes
WINNIPEG
I am really tempted to bite, what is consumption like on this thing? If filament costs ~30 a roll, how far does a roll go for making small individual items?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9142 posts
941 upvotes
How much are refills? Is it a steep learning curve ?
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Nov 24, 2008
905 posts
230 upvotes
Calgary
ragin_pyro wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 12:04 pm
How much was it?

Contemplating it, but black Friday is coming up.
They sold for like $216, however they shipped V1 models. These look to be proper V2. To tell, look at the extruder. The newest models have the E3D extruder, which is much easier to replace. For my V1, I had to print a new mount to use the E3D. Luckily I did it a week before a filament ball formed and wrecked the original extruder.

*EDIT*

One piece of advice for you all: this machine is a tweaker's dream. Only big issue is that it does not come with an auto-leveling bed. Knowing this now, I would definitely consider spending a bit more on an auto-leveling bed if you are using it often. Still, it can print almost everything (I've had luck with PLA, ABS, and Wood PLA so far).
Jun 26, 2004
492 posts
157 upvotes
I picked up a V1 when they first launched and it's still going strong. This is a great 3D printer for a beginner. I'll echo the statements above about the bed though. You'll find yourself leveling it fairly often at first, but it's not hard to do, just time consuming. Cutting a piece of glass for the bed makes it a bit easier as well.

Print area is smallish, but it's great to start with, and the actual resolution of the prints is quite good.
Mar 20, 2015
101 posts
37 upvotes
WINNIPEG
mikeo007 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 1:19 pm
I picked up a V1 when they first launched and it's still going strong. This is a great 3D printer for a beginner. I'll echo the statements above about the bed though. You'll find yourself leveling it fairly often at first, but it's not hard to do, just time consuming. Cutting a piece of glass for the bed makes it a bit easier as well.

Print area is smallish, but it's great to start with, and the actual resolution of the prints is quite good.
Just looked up what bed levelling is and how to do it. Is it relatively easy to do on this unit?
Sep 13, 2017
13 posts
2 upvotes
Yeah, it's not too bad. It's kind of annoying because levelling and distance from the nozzle are the same 4 screws... so you can't level the bed and adjust the height independently. It hasn't really been an issue though to be honest.
Jun 26, 2004
492 posts
157 upvotes
bytemovies wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 2:09 pm
Just looked up what bed levelling is and how to do it. Is it relatively easy to do on this unit?
Physically it's easy, you just turn 4 screws with the included hex key. The reason it takes a bit of time is because you need to measure the distance from the hot end to the bed at several different points, and re-adjust the screws. Adjusting one screw will change your measurements from before, so you'll have to re-measure and re-adjust. I found adding a piece of glass made it a bit easier for me since at least I don't have to worry about the aluminum expanding when I heat up the bed.

Once you get used to it, you'll be able to level it fairly quickly though.
Mar 20, 2016
166 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
bytemovies wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 12:31 pm
I am really tempted to bite, what is consumption like on this thing? If filament costs ~30 a roll, how far does a roll go for making small individual items?
It goes a long way for small items. A roll is 1kg, a small cookie cutter (6x6cm) for example, is 11g or ~30c of filament.
The average item I'd make is $0.50 to $1.50.
If you download Cura, and open a model it will tell you the cost to print at the bottom.

Costs will start to build up if you want many different colored filaments though.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)