[Amazon Canada] ReadyNAS 214 - 4 Bay NAS - $348.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2018 7:28 am
[OP]
Dec 22, 2001
731 posts
111 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] ReadyNAS 214 - 4 Bay NAS - $348.99

Not the cheapeast it's ever been, but seems to be a good price. I just bought one... debating whether to cancel and wait for a lower price or not...
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5582 posts
1128 upvotes
GVR
At this price point, what are some of the other 4-bay NAS that one could get (when they go on sale)?
[OP]
Dec 22, 2001
731 posts
111 upvotes
From what I’ve seen, for 4 bay there isn’t much from a reputable brand with good management features. The WD EX4 was/is on sale for 250-300, but refurb only and I think no longer in production. I’ve seen some Asustor ones on sale for this price, but I’ve never used them and I’ve heard mixed things about them. Also I don’t believe they have btrfs. Would love to be wrong.
Jul 11, 2008
797 posts
423 upvotes
This has gone up and down.

Not sure if it’s worth waiting or not but just for history sake there is this thread.

https://forums.miltonkeynescommforum.info/netgear ... #p29010039

I realize it probably never go there again. I just throw it out there just so you know it is an item with lots of recent price changes.

Mp

I actually got crazy lucky and grabbed while in stock at 306 and then actually got a price adjustment as I could still cancel when it dropped.
Last edited by MexicanPeso on Apr 30th, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 31, 2012
881 posts
265 upvotes
Guelph
I got this at the wickedly reduced price and its excellent. Not sure if/when itll get that cheap again but it was worth every penny.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2001
731 posts
111 upvotes
LawEightSix wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 12:25 pm
I got this at the wickedly reduced price and its excellent. Not sure if/when itll get that cheap again but it was worth every penny.
Yea, I've been waiting for a price drop on these for a while.. When I missed that deal, I was pretty pissed...
Feb 15, 2013
104 posts
25 upvotes
Edmonton
QNAP you see around $300-400 on sale for 4-bays but Synology almost never get below $500. I did my research and had to bite the bullet to decide that the apps + software support of Synology was worth it for me. QNAP and Synology are the only ones with these being well-supported.

This is still a good price if you're not planning on running Docker containers etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1476 posts
314 upvotes
Montreal
Just to note, the lowest price this has gone was ~$225.
I have this saved in my cart, waiting for it to drop to a similar price before pulling the trigger.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1470 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
what is the best nas for plex
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1141 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
chowder wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 9:59 pm
what is the best nas for plex
That depends on which PleX clients you use. The issue is transcoding or not. If you will require a lot of that then you don’t want an ARM based NAS. There is a document on PleX’s site which details the capabilities of many NAS options. I have used a Qnap 251+ which handles transcoding quite well ( don’t really have a lot of that happening though). Often all that is required is a switch in containers or just an audio transcoding. That doesn’t require much ( I think PleX calls it Direct Stream). If subtitles are involved then things become more complicated. To handle high end transcoding usually requires a pretty expensive NAS.

The qnap nas has a dedicated a PleX media server which works really well. I have also used a lower powered Synology NAS which has a PleX server that is not as good as the QNAP one, but that’s mainly because of the cpu. Both QNAP and Synology will do just fine for PleX provided your transcoding demands are reasonable. The Synology OS is very polished. You can’t go wrong with either. An alternative would be to have a low end NAS which handles storage and a PC with the PleX media server on it ( or even a Shield TV). I used a Mac Mini with my Synology for quite some time that way. Much better than a NAS PleX but of course you then have two things running.

Thread Information

There are currently 12 users viewing this thread. (7 members and 5 guests)

kiasu, Discoboy1, jinjin19, nuwan32, perterinmaple, Claudios, maple168