Fitness and Nutrition

Anyone train with a Personal Trainer? (Goodlife & others)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2018 10:22 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1629 posts
108 upvotes

Anyone train with a Personal Trainer? (Goodlife & others)

I go to Goodlife and am thinking of signing up with a personal trainer:

3 sessions per week, for 6 months, approx. $6000. in other words, 1 session = $80. this price seems really steep for a poor fellow like me but i have a really weak core and i am generally concerned about my health. the above figure is what a trainer quoted me so i have no idea what the "norm" is, when it comes to personal training. what do you guys think?? thanks in advance.
107 replies
Nov 12, 2003
672 posts
6 upvotes
TBH I would avoid trainers UNLESS you absolutely know they are solid. I can think a lot of better things $6,000 can do. I see trainers more often than not, allowing poor form by their clients. This leads me to believe that they either do not care or do not know. Either situation is undesirable. I'm sure there are solid trainers, but I don't know if you will find them at commercial gyms. Perhaps LargeOne can chim in.

Find yourself a training partner. Read up on StrongLifts 5x5, Madcow 5x5, or Starting Strength (buy the DVD if needed) and go from there.

There is a lot you can do with just a training partner who has the same goals as you.
Remember, you are what you eat! NO DONUTS!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16817 posts
1319 upvotes
Woodbridge
I just turned it down. I was really shocked how much it cost, I was quoted $4,900 for 11 months.

All I could think about was this is my 18" 5Zigen ZR+520's and 46" Panasonic G10 Plasma. LOL

I have no problem with my Cardio & Weights. My problem is that I'm a Couch Potatoe, I spend 2+ hours at GoodLife but I can't stop eating out.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Dec 31, 1969
I agree with krazo. There is massive amount of information available online (including rfd) about fitness and $6k is just too much. Everything a trainer can do, you can do yourself. You can go to youtube and learn proper forms of exercises, read up on nutrition, mens health and fitness are pretty good sources too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1629 posts
108 upvotes
krazo wrote:
Jun 15th, 2009 9:23 pm
TBH I would avoid trainers UNLESS you absolutely know they are solid. I can think a lot of better things $6,000 can do. I see trainers more often than not, allowing poor form by their clients. This leads me to believe that they either do not care or do not know. Either situation is undesirable. I'm sure there are solid trainers, but I don't know if you will find them at commercial gyms. Perhaps LargeOne can chim in.

Find yourself a training partner. Read up on StrongLifts 5x5, Madcow 5x5, or Starting Strength (buy the DVD if needed) and go from there.

There is a lot you can do with just a training partner who has the same goals as you.
thanks for your advice! i've never heard of this term - 'training partner'. but i am thinking.. who'd want to be a training partner with a 20-something year old female who has never really exercised in her life until joining a gym several months ago? i am considering spending that much money to become stronger and fit because my family has a history of weak bones (osteoporosis) and my physiotherapist told me the reason i suffer from constant back pain is due to the fact that i have virtually no muscle around my abdomen - i am told building up your core takes much time and dedication, more so than say getting biceps and what not. is this true? i thought i would therefore need some guidance in making this happen, since i'm such a newbie... the goal of my 6 month training is not so much weight loss, but building strength and helping my bones get more dense (somehow). anyway, i will definitely check out those materials you mentioned.. thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1629 posts
108 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Jun 15th, 2009 9:41 pm
I just turned it down. I was really shocked how much it cost, I was quoted $4,900 for 11 months.

All I could think about was this is my 18" 5Zigen ZR+520's and 46" Panasonic G10 Plasma. LOL

I have no problem with my Cardio & Weights. My problem is that I'm a Couch Potatoe, I spend 2+ hours at GoodLife but I can't stop eating out.
so.. you were quoted $4,900 for 11 months, while I was quoted nearly $6k for 6 months?? :confused: was the offer you got also along the lines of 3 one-hour sessions per week? (3 hours/week).

anyway these things are so bloody expensive! argh.
Jul 29, 2003
695 posts
26 upvotes
leoben wrote:
Jun 15th, 2009 9:49 pm
thanks for your advice! i've never heard of this term - 'training partner'. but i am thinking.. who'd want to be a training partner with a 20-something year old female who has never really exercised in her life until joining a gym several months ago? i am considering spending that much money to become stronger and fit because my family has a history of weak bones (osteoporosis) and my physiotherapist told me the reason i suffer from constant back pain is due to the fact that i have virtually no muscle around my abdomen - i am told building up your core takes much time and dedication, more so than say getting biceps and what not. is this true? i thought i would therefore need some guidance in making this happen, since i'm such a newbie... the goal of my 6 month training is not so much weight loss, but building strength and helping my bones get more dense (somehow). anyway, i will definitely check out those materials you mentioned.. thanks.
You may want to check out the New Rules of Lifting for Women book.
http://amazon.ca/New-Rules-Lifting- ... 1583333398

It's a great fitness resource for women of all levels from what I've heard.

Also, check out the articles on figureathlete.com
Here's one that covers core training => http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/articl ... e_training
Nov 12, 2003
672 posts
6 upvotes
leoben wrote:
Any friends of yours trying to get fit, maybe all they need to get motivated is a training partner. You could also seek the assistance of people at the gym while you train. Most of them will not mind spotting or watching your form as you learn, just gotta find people who know what they are doing.

Do not forget the diet component either which is equally important.

There is a very active community at forum.bodybuilding.com, just stay away from the "misc" section for advice they are just good for teh lulz!

Good luck with your training! It is a very exciting journey.
Remember, you are what you eat! NO DONUTS!
Jan 14, 2009
342 posts
1 upvote
Trainer or not,the question that plagues all new to the fitness game.You need to ask yourself a few questions to find your answer.Are you a self motivator? Are you out going and willing to try new things at the gym?Are you willing to put in the research time on your own?There are others but if you answered yes to all the above then you might be able to get started by yourself.

The trouble with trainers is they are in great abundance.As in any occupation there are those who know what they are doing and those who do not.There are some great motivators but they dont really have a clue in other areas.Some are well worth the money while others see what the top guys are asking and charge the same rates.

Pick a trainer like you would a good pair of shoes.They feel comfortable,they look great,not too expensive and they make you look great.

Any trainer worth his weight will look the part.I know,I know I have heard it over and over again how one can teach but but not necessarily practice themsleves.Well in this case you can judge the book by its cover! My approach is simple,you should be motivated by watching me walk in the room.
Sounds egotistical but it really isn't.My mechanic doesn't meet me wearing a tuxedo nor does my doctor great me in gym shorts and a muscle shirt.Make sure they look the part,practice what they preach!

There are trainers who will put you on the right path and then you are free to do as you please.Some initial guidance and a once amonth check in so to speak.These are harder to find as most want a basic steady comittment.You cant blame them as this is their income after all.

So be honest with yourself,answer some questions,do some research and go from there.Getting started is easy, staying at it is hard.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1722 posts
116 upvotes
Mississauga
Hey when I started working out (I'm a late-twenties/early thirties gal), I really loved this website a a great resource for women lifting weights -> I've been following her for years and I really like it because it's from a woman's perspective:

http://stumptuous.com/

She has a section "How to choose a personal trainer" http://stumptuous.com/how-to-choose ... al-trainer

If you want to get a personal trainer to show you form, why not sign up for a couple of weeks? or see if your gym has an orientation class?
Apr 15, 2005
773 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
I spent about $5,000 on a personal trainer last year and regret it. It really wasn't worth it.

Hey, Jandumm, thanks for that site!....looks great!!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16817 posts
1319 upvotes
Woodbridge
leoben wrote:
Jun 15th, 2009 9:53 pm
so.. you were quoted $4,900 for 11 months, while I was quoted nearly $6k for 6 months?? :confused: was the offer you got also along the lines of 3 one-hour sessions per week? (3 hours/week).

anyway these things are so bloody expensive! argh.
Yes, 3x a week. I thinks it's because he was only a Level 1 trainer and since he's trying to get new clients he offered me $100 off.

My boy said, I should just look into sucking my fat out if I'm going to pay this much. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2003
1869 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
leoben wrote:

I suggest joining a dragonboat team. There's a group of guys and girls that will motivate you to exercise. Training will work your core and your arms, and depending on how hardcore the team is, everything else.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1971 posts
54 upvotes
I've been working out with a personal trainer for over a year now but my trainer is also a physio therapist. I initally went to my physio because I injured my hip from running - not enough core strength. Who knew :) I pay a little over $80 per session but it's been worth it for me. I've been shown a lot of weight loss and rehab exercises that I wouldn't have otherwise known how to do. I also like that I'm pushed a lot harder than I would if I worked out by myself. And that I have someone to show me the correct form/posture for exercises - whenever I try to do exercises from books or videos, I can never tell if I'm doing them properly. I'd have to say that the only thing I don't really like about my trainer is the cost but I say that about a lot of things :)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38406 posts
3156 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
bembol wrote:
Jun 16th, 2009 2:39 pm
Yes, 3x a week. I thinks it's because he was only a Level 1 trainer and since he's trying to get new clients he offered me $100 off.

My boy said, I should just look into sucking my fat out if I'm going to pay this much. LOL
Wow. I didn't realize personal trainers were so expensive.
I don't think they are necessary at all. Everything they teach you can be learned off the internet or through books.

But it doesn't hurt to have the services of these guys for a few sessions so you learn all the exercises if you're a complete noob.

Thats exactly how much liposuction would cost too lol