Boxing Day 2014 Discussion Archive

Boxing Day On Engagement Rings / Jewellery?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2015 10:24 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13689 posts
1223 upvotes
Toronto

Boxing Day On Engagement Rings / Jewellery?

Anyone successful with engagement rings or jewellery on Boxing Day?

I saw a commercial that People's Jewellery was offering 15% off on Boxing Day ...

Just curious really ... Maybe I can plan for the "one day" ;)
"Deal of the Day" addict
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5350 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
People's for engagement ring? YIKES!

This is the one time you should not be doing RFDs
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Dec 10, 2007
318 posts
42 upvotes
toronto
Haven't really noticed anything for jewelry, mostly the normal radio ad's.
You're probably better off finding a style that you like and start saving $ early, even if no discount since the plan is to buy it once.

I wonder how that conversation will go down.
Her: So when are you going to propose to me?
Him: I'm totally ready to marry you but hold on until I find a deal on your engagement ring.

Or swap the him/her or him/him or her/her since we are almost 2015.
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
813 upvotes
Calgary
Dont worry OP, there is NOTHING wrong with buying your engagement ring on sale.

My cousins wife (fiance at the time) demanded my cousin to buy her at least a 24K gold ring and he had to spend at least 10K on it. She would refuse it, if he did not meet these expectations! I remember the year before, he bought her a really nice necklace and she turned it down and told him to take it back because it wasnt expensive enough for her! Well he couldnt afford the new engagement ring, so he waited for boxing week sale and got it on sale.
Sep 3, 2008
176 posts
3 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Dec 27th, 2014 7:25 pm
Anyone successful with engagement rings or jewellery on Boxing Day?

I saw a commercial that People's Jewellery was offering 15% off on Boxing Day ...

Just curious really ... Maybe I can plan for the "one day" ;)
Please don't buy diamonds from People's or other mall stores. If you want to start planning, start cruising Whiteflash, James Allen, Engagement Rings Direct, Brian Gavin (check out BGD blue line for some savings) and start a thread on Pricescope with your budget and what you're looking for. You will get a better price on a much higher quality diamond.
Jan 2, 2012
648 posts
135 upvotes
SASKATOON
Mayosandwich wrote:
Dec 27th, 2014 7:54 pm

My cousins wife (fiance at the time) demanded my cousin to buy her at least a 24K gold ring and he had to spend at least 10K on it. She would refuse it, if he did not meet these expectations! I remember the year before, he bought her a really nice necklace and she turned it down and told him to take it back because it wasnt expensive enough for her! Well he couldnt afford the new engagement ring, so he waited for boxing week sale and got it on salefound a woman who wasn't such a conceited bitch.
How it should have ended.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1625 posts
196 upvotes
Calgary
Mayosandwich wrote:
Dec 27th, 2014 7:54 pm

My cousins wife (fiance at the time) demanded my cousin to buy her at least a 24K gold ring and he had to spend at least 10K on it. She would refuse it, if he did not meet these expectations! I remember the year before, he bought her a really nice necklace and she turned it down and told him to take it back because it wasnt expensive enough for her! Well he couldnt afford the new engagement ring, so he waited for boxing week sale and got it on sale.
I hope he got the ring and necklace back when they divorced
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13689 posts
1223 upvotes
Toronto
I said jewellery too. For example, Sears & Hudson's Bay were doing 60% and 70% off jewllery leading up to X-Mas.

Its just really a point of reference. Usually marriages involve some planning so I think I could plan when to buy a ring too if it would save me $$$
OR buy on Boxing Day for Valentine's Day / Mother's Day

If there was such a sale somewhere, I think there's a greater chance to save hundreds, maybe thousands (depends on what you buy) versus the $200 you saved on a television.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Dec 8, 2013
379 posts
217 upvotes
Oakville
I got mine a fake one and she has no idea! Its is 1.6 karats, and not super over the top - its the perfect Cubic zerconiam. This is the RFD way.

The whole concept of buying an expensive diamond is a total scam / shame / sham.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1625 posts
196 upvotes
Calgary
If you're looking for diamond jewelry, don't buy from the bay even with those 60% off sales. The quality of the diamonds suck and the sale prices are more like the regular prices of superior diamonds at blue nile.

As an example, take a classic - diamond stud earrings. The Bay had the Effy brand in 0.5 ct. t.w. on sale for 60% off or something ridiculous, which included an I2 diamond in H-I colour with likely a crappy cut since they failed to specify. I believe the price was just north of $900 in 18K white gold. Meanwhile, bluenile had 0.5 ct. t.w. stud earrings after coupon for $820 with SI2 minimum clarity and I colour. Same metal at 18k white gold. There was also the option for a lesser diamond and 14k white gold for approx $520 after coupon.

Don't let department store (or B&M jewelry store, for that matter) jewelry discounts fool you without looking around first. Bluenile and whiteflash offer solid jewelry deals year-round. Sign up for their mailing lists and wait for their coupons/discounts.
DaVibe wrote:
Dec 27th, 2014 10:13 pm
I said jewellery too. For example, Sears & Hudson's Bay were doing 60% and 70% off jewllery leading up to X-Mas.

Its just really a point of reference. Usually marriages involve some planning so I think I could plan when to buy a ring too if it would save me $$$
OR buy on Boxing Day for Valentine's Day / Mother's Day

If there was such a sale somewhere, I think there's a greater chance to save hundreds, maybe thousands (depends on what you buy) versus the $200 you saved on a television.
Dec 8, 2013
379 posts
217 upvotes
Oakville
This is the website I used for the Cubic Z - no one has been able to tell the difference.

Check it out bro - save yourself some serious cash. You can get an engagement ring for under $20, and if you sign up for email you get 10% off....

http://fantasyjewelrybox.com/rings- ... tml?sort=1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5350 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Until one day she wants to see the appraisal.

Best thing to do is find yourself a jeweller or online through a jeweller site as suggested by another poster. Those BM stores charge a premium and you don't get your money's worth.

Who knows, she may even want to choose out her own design and stone. If this is the case just get some cheap CZ to propose with.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Sep 3, 2008
176 posts
3 upvotes
fislan wrote:
Dec 27th, 2014 10:36 pm
This is the website I used for the Cubic Z - no one has been able to tell the difference.

Check it out bro - save yourself some serious cash. You can get an engagement ring for under $20, and if you sign up for email you get 10% off....

http://fantasyjewelrybox.com/rings- ... tml?sort=1
If you're going to go the CZ route, make sure it's a joint decision... best not to start your marriage with deception. Honestly, you may be better off getting a diamond simulant and saving up that little bit more for a higher quality diamond than buying something of poor quality at People's.

Look at Bluenile or ID Jewelry for non-engagement jewelry.
Sep 12, 2008
568 posts
192 upvotes
Hamilton, on
I found bluenile.com to be have very reasonable prices. The inventory of diamonds they have is amazing. You can play with the four c's online to decide each what fits in your price range. If price is your biggest concern you should be able to get very respectable looking 0.4 for well under $1000 with the ring. In my opinion, focus on Cut and Color, as a well cut diamond of a smaller size will be far better than a bigger diamond of poor cut.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13689 posts
1223 upvotes
Toronto
So nobody purchased jewellery this boxing day???
"Deal of the Day" addict