Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 9, 2009
392 posts
324 upvotes
Calgary

[Costco] Costco West lifetime 8x10 storage shed $949.99

It's that time of year again, $200.00 off. most likely on sale for this week only.

Spotted in Calgary, most likely available in western Canada, not sure about rest of country
Images
  • upload.jpg/
44 replies
Apr 15, 2012
129 posts
103 upvotes
Rented a uhaul cargo van for 20 bucks and picked up the shed. Fits perfectly in the back with room to spare. Ask the receipt checking people and they will get someone to help load into your vehicle. The boxes are pretty heavy... You definitely need 2 people to lift it

Probably 4 or 5 left at the port Coquitlam Costco in bc.
Mar 10, 2012
1 posts
St. John's
I have a level gravel bed in my backyard. Would that suffice to use under this? Or would I need a more solid foundation?
Apr 25, 2016
111 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Probably going to miss out on this deal, but I'm in the market for a shed. Any advice from RFDers? What are you going to do for the base and so forth?

Also, reviews on Costco.ca are pretty mixed about this. Many people are having issues with build quality, skylight leaking, and so forth.
Sep 30, 2008
707 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton
I bought this shed last year on sale, so far no complaints. We aren't into it often but it does the job pretty well. We laid out sand and cement patio stones for a nice level base which worked great but you could build a frame with plywood as well. One word of caution to follow the directions (and the sequence of panels!) exactly as written in the instructions. The plastic pieces aren't perfectly square and a little difficult to fit together sometimes so it's pretty frustrating when you have to pull them apart. A rubber mallet with a piece of deck board came in handy. The instructions lie - this doesn't take an afternoon, it took us the better part of a weekend. (In between arguments and cool downs from the pure matrimonial bliss of trying to assemble something like this with your husband.. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye).
May 28, 2007
14 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary
When I built mine a few years back... page 1 of the instructions stated... Rome was not built in a day; and neither is this shed.

I used crushed gravel as a base on top of the dirt and get that level which took a day. In building the shed you find out how unlevel you are immediately.

I should have spend even more time getting the base more level as it slowed down assembly.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1006 posts
206 upvotes
BC
joe047 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 4:48 pm
Rented a uhaul cargo van for 20 bucks and picked up the shed. Fits perfectly in the back with room to spare. Ask the receipt checking people and they will get someone to help load into your vehicle. The boxes are pretty heavy... You definitely need 2 people to lift it

Probably 4 or 5 left at the port Coquitlam Costco in bc.
thanks, good to know about the uhaul cargo van
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4068 posts
629 upvotes
Kingston
Sinoed wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 5:37 pm
I bought this shed last year on sale, so far no complaints. We aren't into it often but it does the job pretty well. We laid out sand and cement patio stones for a nice level base which worked great but you could build a frame with plywood as well. One word of caution to follow the directions (and the sequence of panels!) exactly as written in the instructions. The plastic pieces aren't perfectly square and a little difficult to fit together sometimes so it's pretty frustrating when you have to pull them apart. A rubber mallet with a piece of deck board came in handy. The instructions lie - this doesn't take an afternoon, it took us the better part of a weekend. (In between arguments and cool downs from the pure matrimonial bliss of trying to assemble something like this with your husband.. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye).
Does your door latch properly? The lock inside so the door doesn't swing open doesn't line up right for me. When I looked at the display model in the store it had the same issue.
Images
  • Capture+_2018-04-30-20-35-02.png
Oct 13, 2015
58 posts
30 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Can anyone confirm pricing in GTA? Called my local store and got the regular price of 1149.99.
Dec 19, 2007
163 posts
11 upvotes
far away
Can people share how they build the base and the cost? Thanks
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2025 posts
571 upvotes
Mississauga
huangpu wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 9:07 pm
depends what type of ground you're putting it on. If there is a slope, etc. It's best to dig a 8-12inchs down (as level as possible), layers of sand/stone (helps with water drainage), then put the frame down and cement it. You don't really need a wood frame, but it can help set the cement. Smooth it out, and place the fed on top. Clearance space will show you how big of a frame you want to make or need. There are some youtube videos about this... Last thing you'll want to do is buy a shed and not have it properly set.

Cost wise, its like $3 a bag of cement... probably need 8 or these (depends on the size of frame you do). Some stone/gravel bags (depends on size of the and size of stone, so cost will vary here). If you decide to build a frame (I would at least build an outer frame to help the cement set in a 'perfect' shape, probably $30 here.

These are just basic instructions and not to be followed to the dot. It's purely suggestive, and gives a rough idea of what you can do. Some people just plop their shed on a 'flat' backyard grass patch... but its up to you.

As a more lazy option, you can buy stone/concrete squares and just lay those out.... not ideal (can have drainage issues, and uneven) but it's cheap and quick...
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
1838 posts
613 upvotes
The better the base, the better the shed will go together and maintain its shape. Mine is overkill, but will last. I laid down 2-4" of gravel to level and then large patio stones at each corner and the middle then a 2x6" base (used a previous base). This ensures, its level and square and the base wont rot from sitting in the dirt. 2x4" on gravel would work just fine as well id imagine, The alternative is a poured concrete foundation in a form, but you will need to dig down deeper to get the base thick enough. Ill suggest not skimping on the base but its RFD...so im sure some will.

Had the shed 3 years now, still great! Good luck folks! Put aside a weekend to do this project, more if youve gotta wait for concrete to set. The shed itself took two of us working at a normal pace, 7 hours to complete.
Last edited by Psyclist on Apr 30th, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 19, 2007
163 posts
11 upvotes
far away
I want to go with sand/stone, frame, and cement on the top. but I question my ability to level and smooth the cement.

probably will go with gravel + cement slabs on top if that's good enought
Mar 18, 2018
176 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
huangpu wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 9:07 pm
Concrete

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

cheaper_than_cheap