Off Topic Archive

Locked: Do you play Encore when you buy the lottery? (Ontario only)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2007 11:55 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Do you play Encore?

• Total votes: 47. You have voted on this poll.
Yes
30%
No
70%
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9332 posts
458 upvotes
Markham

Do you play Encore when you buy the lottery? (Ontario only)

Since tomorrow's 6/49 draw is very large ($28 million) which will attract lots of buyers, I'm just curious if you guys play Encore? It's an extra $1, but it's much easier to win a prize from it.

I always play Encore if I get a lotto ticket, I feel like I have to because the number is printed on the ticket even if you don't play, and I think I'd get a heart attack if the number was drawn and I didn't play.

So, do you play Encore?
Share:
14 replies
May 15, 2007
536 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Hairball wrote:
Dec 28th, 2007 9:01 pm
I always play Encore if I get a lotto ticket, I feel like I have to because the number is printed on the ticket even if you don't play, and I think I'd get a heart attack if the number was drawn and I didn't play.
LOL... same reason here. Once I didn't play Encore and 3 numbers came up. It was close, but now whenever I have an extra dollar I buy it with my Super 7.
I like to shop... and cook... and talk a lot about nothing...
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38314 posts
3104 upvotes
Toronto
the encore is good for winning an extra ticket. Its common to win a free play+encore

It only requires 1 number in the right position.
On the other hand its hard to win a jackpot b/c the odds are bad compared to the prize.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2007
4092 posts
254 upvotes
One of the best marketing features of Encore was printing the number on the ticket regardless if the Encore was played or not. A lot of people check their Encore number against the winning numbers to see if they would have won even when they did not pay for Encore.

There is an important thing to consider when playing Encore. When you do not select to play Encore, the terminal simply prints a randon Encore number on your ticket. If you choose to play Encore, then the terminal sends a message to the central computer for the Encore number. In other words, you will get a diffrent Encore number if you play Encore as opposed to when you do not play.

The reason the central computer selects the Encore number for the player is because there is an attempt to spread all the played Encore numbers across all of the available numbers. Therefore if 10 million Encore tickets are played for one draw, there is an attempt to cover all 7 digit numbers.

Another thing to remember is that you can play up to 10 Encore numbers per ticket. Therefore if you really like Encore better than all of the other lottery games, you can spend the minimum on the primary game, say Ontario 49 and the maximum on Encore. For $10.50 you can get 1 Ontario 49 and 10 Encores.
The biggest no-fee lottery groups in the world and the best chances to win!
Mario's Lottery Group Play Thread
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
30 upvotes
Yes.

If for some reason I didn't have enough change on me, I black out the Encore numbers so I don't freak out later if I missed out.
The wonderous minds of some RFDers:
nx2k wrote:
Apr 13th, 2009 5:47 am
so let me get this straight
if you did the crime, you should do the time?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2007
4092 posts
254 upvotes
Ebola wrote:
Dec 29th, 2007 12:17 pm
Yes.

If for some reason I didn't have enough change on me, I black out the Encore numbers so I don't freak out later if I missed out.
Ebola, no need to black out your Encore numbers. They would not have been your Encore numbers had you played. Check my post above for an explanation.
Jan 22, 2006
209 posts
Hairball wrote:
Dec 28th, 2007 9:01 pm
Since tomorrow's 6/49 draw is very large ($28 million) which will attract lots of buyers, I'm just curious if you guys play Encore? It's an extra $1, but it's much easier to win a prize from it.

So, do you play Encore?
True
Sep 30, 2001
26833 posts
5854 upvotes
Toronto
Mario38 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2007 10:57 am
The reason the central computer selects the Encore number for the player is because there is an attempt to spread all the played Encore numbers across all of the available numbers.
what are the odds like for encore (or aka is it worth playing it at all?)
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38314 posts
3104 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote:
Dec 29th, 2007 1:02 pm
1 in 10 million.

Not really worth it... Ontario49 is $0.50 per ticket and its 1 in 13,900,000
so you buy 2 tickets for a total of $1, you will fare better in Ontario 49 then Encore.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2007
4092 posts
254 upvotes
MrDisco wrote:
Dec 29th, 2007 1:02 pm
To compare the odds of one game to another, it is important to take into consideration all of the prizes instead of the odds of just the top prize. You should also take into consideration the possibility of splitting the top prize or, as in the case for Encore, that the top prize is never split.

The expected value of a game takes all of this information into consideration. The last time I checked, the expected value of Encore is slightly better, at 60%, than the average lottery game, say Ontario 49 at 50%. One important consideration for Encore, that affects its expected value, is for which game it is being combined with. The most common and easiest to win Encore prize is the free ticket. The free ticket includes the host game. So a free ticket when Encore was played with Lotto 649 or Super 7 gives you a win that is worth (face value) $3. It Encore with Ontario 49 wins a free ticket, then the face value is only $1.50.

Now when comparing expected values of all the lotteries, by far the best deal is Lotto 649 and Super 7 when the jackpot is very large. For example, the expected value for tonight's Lotto 649 draw will proabably be around 80%. That is by far better than Encore, Keno, Ontario 49 and all the rest. The problem of course with Lotto 649 is the odds with respect to the price of the ticket ($2). The best way to achieve the better than average expected value and overcome the long odds is group play.

My group play for tonight's Lotto 649 draw is up to $202 (101 tickets).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7458 posts
929 upvotes
Toronto
I never play it with 649 but think it's a good deal with super7 as you already get 3 sets of numbers total for $2 so an extra $1 for the encore doesn't seem like plenty.
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14441 posts
1519 upvotes
Toronto
Why would I pay for half a ticket where I can only win $1 Million where I might as well put in $2 where I can win however many million I'm playing for.
Because I want a free ticket (if you win that) through Encore?

Please. It's a waste of time and it's an OLG scam if you haven't figured that one out already. Funny how EVERY lottery has "Encore" available, what are the odds are winning THAT draw?
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4788 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
The last time I didn't play Encore, I lost out on 2K.

What do you think I'll do every time I play any lottery?

I say YES to Encore.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Mario38 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2007 12:46 pm
Ebola, no need to black out your Encore numbers. They would not have been your Encore numbers had you played. Check my post above for an explanation.
This is stupid, so why place the encore numbers on a non-playing ticket then? I guess 99% of people actually think that the encore number in their non-playing ticket is actually a real number :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4788 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote:
Dec 29th, 2007 11:34 pm
This is stupid, so why place the encore numbers on a non-playing ticket then? I guess 99% of people actually think that the encore number in their non-playing ticket is actually a real number :rolleyes:
Actually it's a real number.

It's there to make you feel depress and angry that you didn't play, that one time, with a winning number.

It's a psychological mind control thing from the lottery corporation.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.