• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2017 5:45 pm
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
227 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto

Flight Attendant at Air Canada

Hey guys, I recently gotten a interest in becoming a Flight Attendant at Air Canada.
Seems like a pretty good gig till I get more academic in me :p
I failed the interview just recently due to being too truthful apparently (As told by my FA friend).
I just want to kinda talk about does being a FA really increase the radiation which = higher chance of cancer? D:
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5288 posts
833 upvotes
Friend is a FA for Air Canada.

Tough job to get since there is a lot of competition usually.

If your only language is English you will have a very hard time getting the job, and even if you do you will get crappy routes (Toronto to Sudbury, Halifax to Saskatoon etc).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8794 posts
1487 upvotes
Markham
Why you are interest to work as a FA.
I don't think it is their salary obviously.....although the travel perk?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2607 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
misterlamed wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 10:02 pm
Hey guys, I recently gotten a interest in becoming a Flight Attendant at Air Canada.
Seems like a pretty good gig till I get more academic in me :p
I failed the interview just recently due to being too truthful apparently (As told by my FA friend).
I just want to kinda talk about does being a FA really increase the radiation which = higher chance of cancer? D:
The amount of mSv depends on routes flown.

I would say anywhere between 4 to 6 mSv a year due to the flying.

What do you mean by being too truthful?
Realtor - Platinum award winner.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
227 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Ziggy007 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 1:20 pm
Friend is a FA for Air Canada.

Tough job to get since there is a lot of competition usually.

If your only language is English you will have a very hard time getting the job, and even if you do you will get crappy routes (Toronto to Sudbury, Halifax to Saskatoon etc).
I speak 2 languages currently and now acquiring a third.
MP3_SKY wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 11:11 pm
Why you are interest to work as a FA.
I don't think it is their salary obviously.....although the travel perk?
I'm losing interest in my current job i need something different and change of scenery and place. their salary isn't that bad though.
oasis100 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 7:52 am
The amount of mSv depends on routes flown.

I would say anywhere between 4 to 6 mSv a year due to the flying.

What do you mean by being too truthful?
I see, so for the question are you willing to relocate... I didn't say no, but i said i prefer to stay in Toronto however i am willing to relocate for a limited duration at a time. thats all lol
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1485 posts
524 upvotes
Tokyo
Most FAs I have interacted with do it for the travel perk, as the salary is very low. It's one of few jobs that offers travel that doesn't require a degree/experience, unlike other professional services jobs.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3316 posts
277 upvotes
Calgary
"Till I get more academic in me.." Are you saying that you are looking at being an FA as a job and not a career? If so, then you're probably thinking about this wrong. Becoming an FA is not something you go through "just for a while".
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8794 posts
1487 upvotes
Markham
McKinsey wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 10:42 am
Most FAs I have interacted with do it for the travel perk, as the salary is very low. It's one of few jobs that offers travel that doesn't require a degree/experience, unlike other professional services jobs.
Right. I heard FA are like $13-15 per hour to start with.
People are just doing it for the travel perks and able to work few days straight and few days off.

Salary high or low is depending the person. If one is making min. wage, then $15 is not bad.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
227 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 3:14 pm
Right. I heard FA are like $13-15 per hour to start with.
People are just doing it for the travel perks and able to work few days straight and few days off.

Salary high or low is depending the person. If one is making min. wage, then $15 is not bad.

I dunno where you guys are getting that stats from but i can definitely tell you is way more than that.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2607 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
You can easily find the collective agreement using google.

The pay for an FA starts at about 26$ to 55$ currently.
Purser is 56$ to 76$

Don't be fooled by those numbers though.

They get schedules that work them between 71 and 85 hours per month. You can volunteer to work extra flights that can bring you to 100 and more.

Per diems are not taxed. Can be a few hundred to well over 1000$ in per diems/month. You can estimate the yearly pay from those accurate numbers.
Realtor - Platinum award winner.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2417 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
oasis100 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:32 pm
You can easily find the collective agreement using google.

The pay for an FA starts at about 26$ to 55$ currently.
Purser is 56$ to 76$

Don't be fooled by those numbers though.

They get schedules that work them between 71 and 85 hours per month. You can volunteer to work extra flights that can bring you to 100 and more.

Per diems are not taxed. Can be a few hundred to well over 1000$ in per diems/month. You can estimate the yearly pay from those accurate numbers.
Flight attendants gets paid $50+/hour wat da hek?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8794 posts
1487 upvotes
Markham
misterlamed wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 7:57 pm
I dunno where you guys are getting that stats from but i can definitely tell you is way more than that.

Air Canada Flight Attendant Salaries in Canada | Indeed.com
https://ca.indeed.com › Air Canada › Salaries
...Average Air Canada Flight Attendant hourly pay in Canada is approximately $12.86, which meets the national average.

Air Canada Salaries in Canada | Indeed.com
https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Air-Canada/salaries

Average Air Canada hourly pay ranges from approximately $11.23 per hour for Inbound ... The average Air Canada salary ranges from approximately $25000 per year for Agent

After adding in a variety of allowances and premiums, new flight attendants garner an average of $24,474 in their first year, the airline said. Air Canada submits that the base salary last year averaged $47,554 for full-time attendants, who also received $9,502 in other compensation to bring the subtotal to $57,056.Oct 20, 2011
-Air Canada disputes flight attendants' view of pay - The Globe and Mail
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8794 posts
1487 upvotes
Markham
blitzforce wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:54 am
Flight attendants gets paid $50+/hour wat da hek?
I believe he meant 26k to 55k...and not 55$ per hour?
It depends how many flight you flew as well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9175 posts
3585 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't seen one young FA on any Air Canada flights, it's always the old ones. While JAL, most of them are young!
Last edited by Cheapo-Findo on Oct 26th, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!