Hot Deals

[Home Depot] Chamberlain 1¼ HP Smartphone-Controlled Garage Door Opener w/ Battery Backup

[OP]
Dec 30, 2008
121 posts
171 upvotes
Mississauga

[Home Depot] Chamberlain 1¼ HP Smartphone-Controlled Garage Door Opener w/ Battery Backup

Pretty cheap for a high power garage door opener that comes with all the bells and whistles. Not belt drive but for the 8 seconds l use the garage door it doesn't really matter to me.
This comes with a DC motor and soft opening and closing
Last edited by dmanwin on Apr 30th, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6817 posts
5039 upvotes
Oakville
Not really all of the bells and whistles if it doesn't have belt drive. Also, why so much power needed? Door should be properly balanced so it can be opened easily by hand.
Feb 16, 2013
757 posts
697 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 9:40 pm
Not really all of the bells and whistles if it doesn't have belt drive. Also, why so much power needed? Door should be properly balanced so it can be opened easily by hand.
Moar whorsepower moar Betta.
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
212 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Good deal comes with MYQ inbuilt but not sure if it requires MYQ gateway.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1188 posts
250 upvotes
Markham
Just a noob questions:
Isn't Belt drive is the best opener? I thought they last long and they are quite. Am I right?
-------
Thank you
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
19768 posts
6995 upvotes
Ottawa
DC motor allows a soft start/stop opening and closing of the garage door.
Can't ever go back to a chain drive.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6817 posts
5039 upvotes
Oakville
cowbunpants wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 9:44 pm
Moar whorsepower moar Betta.
Less money in your wallet.
Jul 2, 2013
450 posts
101 upvotes
Newmarket
I'm unsure whats going on with these new Chamberlain motors. There is no mention of whether they use DC motors anymore which worries me.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2008
121 posts
171 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 10:20 pm
DC motor allows a soft start/stop opening and closing of the garage door.
Can't ever go back to a chain drive.
This garage door opener is a DC motor.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1485 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. I'd prefer a belt drive though. Will wait for the next deal.
May 30, 2006
345 posts
94 upvotes
Pretty happy with the Chamberlain HD750WFC/LW6000WFC when it went on sale at Lowes last month. Not as much HP but it lifts my single door just fine. And it is super quiet. You can barely hear it working. The integration with SmartThings is a bit disappointing though unless you buy a contact/tilt sensor which seem to be pretty expensive in Canada. In any case, I would gladly trade power for a belt drive any day if the unit is strong enough.

By the way, installation is pretty complicated even for home handymen. And in Montreal, installers charge an absurd amount. One in particular wanted to charge me $350. But while perusing the interwebs I saw that Canadian Tire does installation for $99. We called them and they asked us if we bought the opener from their store. Our exact response was "well we have it already". So they took this to mean we bought it from them and agreed to do the installation. A few days later, the installer shows up and it is the exact installer that was going to charge us $350!
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1485 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
nextguy wrote:
May 1st, 2018 6:47 am
Pretty happy with the Chamberlain HD750WFC/LW6000WFC when it went on sale at Lowes last month. Not as much HP but it lifts my single door just fine. And it is super quiet. You can barely hear it working. The integration with SmartThings is a bit disappointing though unless you buy a contact/tilt sensor which seem to be pretty expensive in Canada. In any case, I would gladly trade power for a belt drive any day if the unit is strong enough.

By the way, installation is pretty complicated even for home handymen. And in Montreal, installers charge an absurd amount. One in particular wanted to charge me $350. But while perusing the interwebs I saw that Canadian Tire does installation for $99. We called them and they asked us if we bought the opener from their store. Our exact response was "well we have it already". So they took this to mean we bought it from them and agreed to do the installation. A few days later, the installer shows up and it is the exact installer that was going to charge us $350!
haha, my goodness. So U picked the guy who knows his stuff...maybe. Hopefully Canadian Tires in Ontario have the installation service for $99 too.
Nov 18, 2008
554 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Installation is not hard but you gotta be a handyman. Took me about a day for two doors, I installed two couple months back. I could do it a lot quicker if I was doing it for a friend but for my own home, I do it nice and slow.

Very important, reinforcement of the door and the door bracket. Here is how I did mine. The reinforcement bracket from Homedepot was too short so this was the only way.
Here is a picture before all the wiring went up.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6817 posts
5039 upvotes
Oakville
If you want it to be quiet, make sure you have some rubber/cork insulation between the opener and ceiling.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2002
1068 posts
135 upvotes
samguan wrote:
May 1st, 2018 8:56 am
Installation is not hard but you gotta be a handyman. Took me about a day for two doors, I installed two couple months back. I could do it a lot quicker if I was doing it for a friend but for my own home, I do it nice and slow.

Very important, reinforcement of the door and the door bracket. Here is how I did mine. The reinforcement bracket from Homedepot was too short so this was the only way.
I self installed my Chamberlain opener too and used this reinforcement bar purchased from Home Depot on the door.
Reinforcement Kit