Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1708 posts
275 upvotes

Looking for cheap grocery stores in downtown Ottawa

I just moved to Ottawa and I am looking for some cheap grocery stores downtown. Right now I am doing the majority of my shopping at Walmart and Food Basics, but I was wondering if there is anything closer that's not expensive. I would be especially interested in a produce store.
9 replies
May 30, 2009
502 posts
31 upvotes
HArtman's independent grocer

296 Bank Street
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1708 posts
275 upvotes
ally12 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2012 8:45 pm
HArtman's independent grocer

296 Bank Street
Thanks, I have been there and will probably do some of my shopping there because it's so convenient but I find it a bit pricey for the things I want (especially fruit/vegetables).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
120 upvotes
You won't find "cheap" in downtown Ottawa. Hartman's as the poster above mentioned is in the downtown core. If you're closer to the market, you have a Loblaws and a Metro that have more selection (both are on Rideau).
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote:
May 18th, 2009 12:00 pm
I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote:
Nov 4th, 2008 8:43 pm
Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Dec 19, 2005
338 posts
238 upvotes
Ottawa
Farm boy isn't too far out of downtown and I find the pricing fair. I hate Hartmans - I find it stinks, especially near the fish counter/baked goods area.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1708 posts
275 upvotes
meagicano wrote:
Jul 17th, 2012 4:16 pm
Farm boy isn't too far out of downtown and I find the pricing fair. I hate Hartmans - I find it stinks, especially near the fish counter/baked goods area.
Thanks, I will take a look at it this weekend.
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
614 posts
27 upvotes
TORONTO
I found that Hartman's is so overpriced on some items. So i think Grace Ottawa has cheap staples and spices, I get fruit & vegetables delivered from Ottawa Organics, bulk and anything else at Herb & Spice on Bank or the Metro Glebe.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3422 posts
843 upvotes
Ottawa
Nothing trumps the asian grocery store, I found this one to be the cheapest in Ottawa. http://goo.gl/maps/Qi48. It's not called Uni Food Mart anymore, it's Green Fresh Market

There's also Product Depot in the West End http://producedepot.ca/. Sometimes it's cheaper than Food Basics. Farm Boy is expensive. Your not going to get anything cheaper than Food Basics, Walmart or Asian Grocery Store.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11727 posts
1223 upvotes
Kanata
Where exactly is "downtown"? I find that's such a wide area, it's hard to recommend anything. How far are you willing to travel?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1708 posts
275 upvotes
goofball wrote:
Jul 19th, 2012 8:46 pm
Where exactly is "downtown"? I find that's such a wide area, it's hard to recommend anything. How far are you willing to travel?
Centretown, the closest major intersection is Bank and Gladstone. Anything closer than the Walmart or No Frills would be an improvement, so I guess about 5km.