Automotive

Loud noise when I hit the gas (possibly from exhaust?) and possible trans problem

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2011 1:24 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
2813 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto

Loud noise when I hit the gas (possibly from exhaust?) and possible trans problem

Hey car experts, maybe you can help me with my problems. My car use to accelerate quietly until today when all of a sudden it makes loud noise when I accelerate or hit the gas as if I have a large exhaust (but I don't)

My car: 1997 Honda Civic coupe DX
189k but OD broke last year.
Recently did an oil change last week as well as new air filter.

On a side note, my car has problems accelerating or actually switching gears when it's in the wet weather such as rain or after a rain fall. This is only for the first 5 - 10 mins, but once the car is at normal temp, its fine. Does that mean my transmission is almost done? Or do I just need a trans fluid flush?

Any help is great

Thanks all
[AMD Ryzen 3 1200 | Gigabyte GA-A320-SCH | Ballistix 8GB DDR4 2400 | Toshiba 1GB & Patriot Burst 128GB | Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC | CM N200]
http://speedtest.net/result/2210940205.png
Feedbacks:
Ebay
HoFo
Heatware
8 replies
Jul 24, 2008
765 posts
27 upvotes
maritrunks wrote:
May 10th, 2011 5:46 pm
Hey car experts, maybe you can help me with my problems. My car use to accelerate quietly until today when all of a sudden it makes loud noise when I accelerate or hit the gas as if I have a large exhaust (but I don't)

My car: 1997 Honda Civic coupe DX
189k but OD broke last year.
Recently did an oil change last week as well as new air filter.

On a side note, my car has problems accelerating or actually switching gears when it's in the wet weather such as rain or after a rain fall. This is only for the first 5 - 10 mins, but once the car is at normal temp, its fine. Does that mean my transmission is almost done? Or do I just need a trans fluid flush?

Any help is great

Thanks all

u got an exhaust leak. or manifold is rusting through?

tranny shifting slow? prob get a tranny flush
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
537 upvotes
bring it in to a garage you got two problems and most likely you will not be able to diagnose and repair yourself
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30231 posts
5235 upvotes
Ottawa
The noise issue sounds like an exhaust problem. could be anywhere from the manifold to the muffler. Can you "feel" the noise? Like, is it at your feet? Or behind you?
As for the transmission, does the engine rpm increase but your speed does not increase proportionally? Only when it rains? (I have never heard of a transmission problem in the rain only LOL).
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
2813 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 10th, 2011 7:25 pm
The noise issue sounds like an exhaust problem. could be anywhere from the manifold to the muffler. Can you "feel" the noise? Like, is it at your feet? Or behind you?
As for the transmission, does the engine rpm increase but your speed does not increase proportionally? Only when it rains? (I have never heard of a transmission problem in the rain only LOL).

Yes the sound comes from the front under the driver feet area, infact the gas peddle and the area around it vibrates whenever I put my foot on the gas. And the car vibrates in general (like I can see the rearview blur when I hit the gas)

The transmission problem isnt really a problem now, it only has problems in cold/rainy weather and only for the first 5 - 10mins until the car warms up to the operating temp.

btw are these 2 problems serious? can I wait a week or 2 before taking it for $$$ repairs
[AMD Ryzen 3 1200 | Gigabyte GA-A320-SCH | Ballistix 8GB DDR4 2400 | Toshiba 1GB & Patriot Burst 128GB | Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC | CM N200]
Feedbacks:
Ebay
HoFo
Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8756 posts
772 upvotes
Toronto
When my 2000 civic started acting like this (having trouble switching gears until at normal running temps) it turned out to be my exhaust manifold which was cracked. It ended up costing me $700 for the manifold, cat and labour.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30231 posts
5235 upvotes
Ottawa
maritrunks wrote:
May 10th, 2011 8:20 pm
Yes the sound comes from the front under the driver feet area, infact the gas peddle and the area around it vibrates whenever I put my foot on the gas. And the car vibrates in general (like I can see the rearview blur when I hit the gas)

The transmission problem isnt really a problem now, it only has problems in cold/rainy weather and only for the first 5 - 10mins until the car warms up to the operating temp.

btw are these 2 problems serious? can I wait a week or 2 before taking it for $$$ repairs
Sounds like the manifold is leaking or cracked. Your transmission could be affected if the manifold is cracked. Can it wait? Well, you could incur further damage every time you drive plus, exhaust could be getting into your car while you drive and make you ill or worse, make you sleepy while driving. Keep your windows open a bit if you are going to drive.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
2813 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 11th, 2011 8:11 am
Sounds like the manifold is leaking or cracked. Your transmission could be affected if the manifold is cracked. Can it wait? Well, you could incur further damage every time you drive plus, exhaust could be getting into your car while you drive and make you ill or worse, make you sleepy while driving. Keep your windows open a bit if you are going to drive.

Thanks for the info Pete_Coach. My car is pretty old, almost 14 years old and I bought it used about 2 years ago so I don't know what the history of the car is and to add to that the OD broke last year, so the true mileage is a mystery. How much would this repair cost me? Is it really worth it fixing this car that is this old?
Feedbacks:
Ebay
HoFo
Heatware
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
537 upvotes
maritrunks wrote:
May 11th, 2011 12:43 pm
Thanks for the info Pete_Coach. My car is pretty old, almost 14 years old and I bought it used about 2 years ago so I don't know what the history of the car is and to add to that the OD broke last year, so the true mileage is a mystery. How much would this repair cost me? Is it really worth it fixing this car that is this old?

it depends on the overall condition of the vehicle and what other repairs/maintenance does it need to be performed? if it is in rough condition and needs further repairs like brakes, and timing belt then personally it is not worth to repair anything and just drive it till it just stops.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)