Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] LOWES - Bosch Dishwasher $498 ($550 off) - "Best recommended" dishwasher

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2014 2:40 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
303 upvotes

[Lowe's] LOWES - Bosch Dishwasher $498 ($550 off) - "Best recommended" dishwasher

Bosch Ascenta 24-in Built-In Dishwasher (Stainless Steel) ENERGY STAR (SHE3ARF5UC)
• Rated #1 and a best value by Consumers Report
• Bosch is the world’s number one dishwashers brand
• Virtually silent at 50 dBA
• Saves 280 gallons of water each year
• 279 kwh/yr- most energy efficient in its class
• Good Housekeeping seal of approval
• Bosch exclusive 24/7 Overflow Protection- ensures that your dishwasher will not leak even if it's not operating

"Best recommended buy" dishwasher per Consumers Report testing of dishwashers and consumers satisfaction survey: Best cleaning of dishes, shortest wash time (95 minutes vs 180 minutes of some other brands), least repair history, energy use, ease of use, & noise level. The Bosch dishwashers actually beat the OTHER more expensive German dishwasher brand Miele (selling $1500 plus) in repair history. The Bosch brand was popular in germany and europe for a long time, but the Ascenta dishwashers are made in USA, not China as other brands. In short, other brand dishwashers may LOOK better to you, but they are likely not effective or efficient in cleaning dishes. I own one Ascenta dishwasher myself, with 10% price match at Sears.

Price effective from Dec 20 - 24. (Sale extended to Jan 2, 2013 per Lowes boxing day flyer)

May price match at Sears with an additional 10% off.

http://lowes.ca/dishwashers/bosch-a ... dishwasher

This stainless steel dishwasher is the higher end of the Ascenta dishwashers. There are 4 medels in the Boasch Ascenta series dishwashers, and their built are similar - motor, stainless steel inside except the bottom. The 4 models differ in the options like time delay to wash the dishes, adjustable top rack, stainless steel vs plastic front panel, hidden vs exposed control buttons, etc.

Thanks to Guncho's post later, Futureshop also has the bosch ascenta dishwasher selling $499 ($380 off) for the boxing day. But the futureshop bosch dishwasher has LESS features than the Lowes bosch dishwasher and therefore not as a better buy.

Lowes - SHE3ARF5UC bosch dishwasher has delicatee wash, express wash, rise & hold, adjustable top rack, flip tines, flexible silverbasket.
Futureshop SHX3AR55UC bosch dishwasher has none of above Lowes' dishwasher features, but it has the half load feature that Lowes dishwasher doesnt have, and the silverware basket is "standard".

Note that, if money is no object to you and you need to impressive someone, you can pick other more expensive ($1500 plus) high end bosch dishwashers, e.g., 800 series, or buy the other even more expensive german Miele dishwashers, because they are also rated very high (79 or 80 out of 100). But if these two german brands dont appeal to you in their features, you can try to buy the following two highly rated dishwasher models: LG Steam LDF7932 ($US$1000), Kitchen Aid KUDE50cx (US$1350) etc.

Some might wish to buy a Kenmore dishwasher. But, the Kenmore dishwashers are made by GE or whirlpool. The highest rated $1390 Kenmore model PRO HE 1317 (rated 79 out of 100) which takes 145 minutes to wash one load. The lowest rated kenmore model 15112 was rated by consumers scroing 43 pts out of possible 100 and that kenmore dishwasher was tested to have average cleaning and noise, below average in ease of use, and 110 minutes to finish one load.

Here are one youtube video on dishwasher testing.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=p9fCcNn5MhE

The delivery and installation will cost you between $180 to $220. But it is not too difficult to install it yourself - 3 connections: power, water in, waste waster out. Here is the video to show how to replace or install a dishwasher yourself:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=o_2OPnwKVmM
109 replies
Nov 10, 2008
774 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately the reviews on Lowes are poor.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1496 posts
333 upvotes
Woodbridge
Does Sears even sell this? or this a Lowes exclusive model?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2199 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto West
Just a note here that the model tested by consumer reports is a little different. The customer reviews ON consumer reports are also poor. Bosch has always been a popular name for dishwashers so take it for what its worth.. My parents have had quite a lot of issues with theirs but its 5+ years old

"The Ratings applied to untested model Bosch Ascenta SHE3ARF[ ]UC (Lowe's) come from our tests of model Bosch Ascenta SHX3AR7[5]UC, which in our judgment is enough alike in its performance, features, and specs that our test results apply to both."
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9685 posts
3992 upvotes
Ottawa
What's the diff between this and the $444 one (reg $799.97) on sale at The Brick on BD? (SHE3AR55U)
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Nov 18, 2009
213 posts
60 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Any suggestions on what dishwasher to get? Parents need a white one. I heard I should stick with whirlpool, maytag, or GE.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
303 upvotes
escapehatch wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 8:36 am
Unfortunately the reviews on Lowes are poor.
I bought one Bosch Ascenta dishwasher ealier this year, and had read many reviews too before buying. Versus other north american brands, the Bosch dishwashers are smaller by about one inch in depth, and is air cool (i.e., no heater at bottom of dishwasher). But, they dont bother me, because my criteria are that a dishwasher should clean the best, with least repair history.

If money is no object, buy the Bosch 500 or 800 series, with a top tray for utensils, and they sell for over $1000.
May 22, 2003
202 posts
34 upvotes
I'll offer some insight into our Bosch which may or may not be similar to this one.

Super quiet, we've opened it by accident when it is running.
No rinse cycle on ours - I fake it by just starting the clean and then cancelling it. Useful when everything is covered in something that might smell - I rarely used the rinse option on our previous dishwasher - but I used it enough that I miss it.
Our previous house had a Whirlpool - I could fit about 30% more dishes in it - I don't like the way the baskets are laid out in the Bosch - *but* - the Bosch does clean the dishes better and more thoroughly.

Ours is the SHE3ARL5UC/07
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9111 posts
807 upvotes
GTA
My bro in law had a Bosch that stopped draining water at the end of the cycle. The repair guy that came basically looked at it and said it would be a $500 repair so he ended up getting a new Bosch that I helped him install (I think the service guy ripped him off because he charged $150+ without even really testing anything to figure out what the problem actually was). Anyway, the new model didn't have a stainless steel interior tub but the old one did. I was going to help him fix his old one but timing was really tight around the holidays so just installed the new one for him. The version he bought is the one without visible controls (controls are on the top of the door). They seem to have a bunch of different models available.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
303 upvotes
Mendes wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 9:21 am
Just a note here that the model tested by consumer reports is a little different. The customer reviews ON consumer reports are also poor. Bosch has always been a popular name for dishwashers so take it for what its worth.. My parents have had quite a lot of issues with theirs but its 5+ years old

"The Ratings applied to untested model Bosch Ascenta SHE3ARF[ ]UC (Lowe's) come from our tests of model Bosch Ascenta SHX3AR7[5]UC, which in our judgment is enough alike in its performance, features, and specs that our test results apply to both."
There are 4 medels in the Boasch Ascenta dishwashers, and their built are similar - motor, stainless steel inside except the bottom. The 4 models differ in the optins like time delay to wash the dishes, adjustable top rack, stainless steel vs plastic front panel, hidden vs exposed control buttons, etc.

For 2 or 3 hundred dollars more, one can buy another brand like whirlpool, maytag, or GE with bigger interior by one inch, or with adjustable top rack, - features that many people like - but the dishwasher likely not clean as good, takes longer as much as double the time to 180 minutes to wash, and more likely to break down.
Jul 21, 2011
636 posts
231 upvotes
Azkaban
YLSF: it may have stopped drainning because it was clogged. On the Bosch model listed here, I saw in store when buying a new dishwasher a month ago, it had essentially a basket/fliter on the drain/exhaust. Sometimes food/broken glass will clog it. Also another possibility is the drain tube from the dishwasher to the house's drain may have been kinked or blocked. Google and just plain dyi spirit is usually can fix most problems (repair techs generally overcharge).

In my case, I inherited a 4 year old Kenmore when I bought my house. The control board on the older Kenmore models tend to die, they also have a heat sensor element that is flaky, from my reading the older Kenmore models were whirpool (rebranded), now apparently made by Samsung (according to Sears). I reset the control board (not that hard), but sold at dirt cheap price on Kijiji. Then bought all stainless steel Samsung appliances at Leons (I was very tempted to get a Bosch dishwasher)
Dec 23, 2004
232 posts
16 upvotes
Nepean
gur3000 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 10:14 am
Any suggestions on what dishwasher to get? Parents need a white one. I heard I should stick with whirlpool, maytag, or GE.
My wife insisted on a white dishwasher - there is white version of the Bosch that can be ordered at the same cost. She loves the Bosch - super quiet.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
29 upvotes
Sarnia
Whirlpool manufactures the majority of Kenmore dishwashers (some higher end Kenmore Elite models are Bosch) . They also manufacture all Kitchenaid dishwashers, Maytag, Amana, Inglis and Jenn Air. You can tell just by opening the door that the Whirlpool, Kenmore and Kitchenaid machines are essentially similar machines with decent reliability percentages according to CR. Haven't looked at the Maytags and Amanas however both those names don't get very good reliability status according to Consumer Reports even though Whirpool makes them. In fact they're among the worst along with LG for reliability.
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17;28
Jul 21, 2011
636 posts
231 upvotes
Azkaban
As additional note, some of the lower end Bosch models are plastic backed on the inside, not entirely stainless steel (apparently some reviews claimed rust problems over time). In the sub 1000$ range dishwasher (which is where I was looking when buying), every model had a noticeable design flaw: some were incredibly small, some had rusting problems, some control board issues, some were missing useful features...
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
29 upvotes
Sarnia
Many of the Kitchenaids also have a 1 hr wash cycle. They also have like some of the Whirpools and Kenmores 4 extra jets used with the PowerScrub cycle along the back wall for scrubbing hard to clean pans etc.. Surprisingly that feature does work quite well.
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17;28