Beauty & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2017 2:56 pm

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 198. You have voted on this poll.
Yes
51%
No
15%
Pizza is yummy
34%
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3842 posts
1100 upvotes
Calgary
heymike wrote:
Aug 21st, 2007 3:03 pm
Anyone ever heard of a place that will knock you out for surgery. I would like to have it done but I am an absolute sissy when it comes to my own eyeballs: I would probably freak out on the table.
You need to be able to focus your eyes. They give shots if you are really too nervous and need something.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3842 posts
1100 upvotes
Calgary
fuc847 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2007 2:47 pm
i sometimes see promotions that are like $500 per eye... this sounds extremely low compared to the rates u guys are listing, like $1000 per eye.

but if i remmeber correctly these promos are from big companies.. so are they still safe..?

i did a free checkup before, and they quoted me like $1300 lasik for each eye. they said my eye is a little different, something like the pupil is bigger than normal or somehting, so its abit more expensive..?
500$ per eye is for the lowest amount of correction, and perfect candidacy. expect at least a good 50% uprate on that amount for regular candidates.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
33 upvotes
i paid $800/eye 7 years ago. my prescription was -3.5
just got my eyes checked yesterday, and it's still perfect.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2001
2167 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver
I couldn't trust those low price Lasik centres that advertise for $399 or $499 per eye. They leave too strong an impression of a having revolving door mentality and use relatively inexperienced surgeons.
Jul 7, 2007
406 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
i rather pay a little more and get top notch treatment. These are your eyes we are talking about!!!

BOCHNER EYE INSTITUTE!!

$5400-$student discount 10%
TOTAL= $4860
and you get checked up on 4-5x through out the year and any corrections that may be needed.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5086 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
fl4wless wrote:
Feb 1st, 2006 12:47 am
To think that damn it costs 35xx.xx for < 4 minutes of work. Im in the wrong field!
it's a lot more than 4 minutes of work... you need to spend time discussing the procedure, administrative time to do scheduling & phone calls, there's a 30+ minute eye exam. Plus the pre-op time where they do another quick eye exam and put the drops in. You talk to the customer after it's finished & they're in the waiting room. Finally there's usually 2 or more follow-up exams.

And then there's expenses: you've got a loan on your half-million dollar laser machine, plus your diagnostic equipment, plus your supplies (drops, swabs, gloves, etc.) Not to mention office/admin equipment, and janitorial.

Then you have to pay for your lease, phone, internet, accounting, and legal services.... don't forget the wages of your support staff!

All of that comes out of the $3,500... so it's not like the doctor shows up at 3:00, works til 3:04, and then walks out the door with a $3,500 cheque in his pocket.

That said, no doubt these doctors are handsomely paid for what they do, which I suppose is the reward for all their education, experience, and taking the risk opening a clinic in the first place.
Oct 9, 2005
210 posts
I'm thinking of getting mine done at Herzig Eye Institute. I heard he's the best in Toronto but it will cost me about $5600 with my high astigmatism. Does anyone know of any Private Health Services Plan (PHSP)for a business? I heard the treatment can be 100% tax deductible through that. Does anyone here have high astigmatism and had a successful surgery. My astigmatism is around -3.00 and -4.00. Also what kind of shots or meds do they give you if you are nervous and do they actually work. I occasionally get panic attacks and if I'm not drugged up good I'll probably freak out on the table.
Dec 4, 2004
217 posts
2 upvotes
Stupid question, but has anyone actually gone blind from this?

I am also a sissy when it comes to my eyes I can't even put in contacts.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3703 posts
425 upvotes
heymike wrote:
Aug 21st, 2007 3:03 pm
Anyone ever heard of a place that will knock you out for surgery. I would like to have it done but I am an absolute sissy when it comes to my own eyeballs: I would probably freak out on the table.
You're exactly the type of person who shouldn't get the procedure done. At LasikMD before I went under the laser, the doctor sat down and we talked about my fears as well as my confidence and it's sort of a last-chance assessment to make sure that you're a good candidate. It's reasonable to be a little scared but you should be 95% sure that this is what you want and that you're ready.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
2982 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
i've seen 100% success rate with the ppl that i've met who've done lasik..

they will assess the situation before performing the operation on you, they are not stupid, they are professionals..
Aug 27, 2005
51 posts
tootsieroll wrote:
Aug 25th, 2007 4:36 am
I'm thinking of getting mine done at Herzig Eye Institute. I heard he's the best in Toronto but it will cost me about $5600 with my high astigmatism. Does anyone know of any Private Health Services Plan (PHSP)for a business? I heard the treatment can be 100% tax deductible through that. Does anyone here have high astigmatism and had a successful surgery. My astigmatism is around -3.00 and -4.00. Also what kind of shots or meds do they give you if you are nervous and do they actually work. I occasionally get panic attacks and if I'm not drugged up good I'll probably freak out on the table.
I know Herzig is the best Dr in town and also the most expensive, I went in there to get my free consultation but I was quoted $6000 with Dr Herzig and $5200 with other Drs. How did you get quoted $5600??

Also according to my research Herzig only offers Intralase Wavefront, which is pretty much the latest and the safest technology. I do not mind paying some premium over other eye clinics, for the life time checkup and correction
and high reputation.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1275 posts
5 upvotes
My wife had lasik on both her eyes done ~ 8 years ago (her eyes were fair at best -7.5 .. -7). She wend to a place called Gimbel's (I think it's closed now in Toronto) the fee was ~ $2K per eye (all in)

Her eye's are still 20/20 ...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9153 posts
638 upvotes
Mississauga
TheZodiac wrote:
Apr 7th, 2007 5:40 pm
Got my eyes done in 2004 @ LasikMD in Mississauga, recently I went to the eye doctor for routine exam and she was shocked that no matter how hard she tried she couldn't tell I had Lasik. I'm 20/15 and can see flawless. My sister is going to the same doctor in August. Don't shop for the best price, shop for the best Doctor. ;)
which doctor did your eyes?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2072 posts
352 upvotes
I got mine done at TLC on July 20. The day after, my eyes were 20/20. My eyes right now are 20/15.

Previous: -5 right eye, -2.75 with -1.75 astig in left eye.

My night vision right now is good, but is worse than before. It has been improving slowly.

I paid $4600 for both eyes.