Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Dec 10, 2008
78 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton
Alphamale1 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2010 7:16 pm
Ive heard good reviews about the installers but the northstar came in 1800.00 more than strassburger
I would ask for some references from the Strassburger installers. The North Star windows are 10-15% cheaper for a dealer to purchase than the Strassburger.
Mar 1, 2005
98 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey all,

We're set on Oran Glenview replacement windows and wondered if anyone is running into problems getting Oran Glenview windows ordered and delivered?

Noticed there's a number of dealers participating in this thread and wondered
how you found the financial stability of working with Oran for window orders
and deliveries lately with the economic meltdown and business credit crunch.
Seems credit is hard to come by for dealers with orders into Oran? Dunno
if this is "real" or a marketing tactic competitors?
Aug 13, 2009
45 posts
St.Catharines
hdefjunkie wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2010 11:40 am
Hey all,

We're set on Oran Glenview replacement windows and wondered if anyone is running into problems getting Oran Glenview windows ordered and delivered?

Noticed there's a number of dealers participating in this thread and wondered
how you found the financial stability of working with Oran for window orders
and deliveries lately with the economic meltdown and business credit crunch.
Seems credit is hard to come by for dealers with orders into Oran? Dunno
if this is "real" or a marketing tactic competitors?
The only problem I've ever had with Oran is delivery time. Usually its 4 weeks but in fall it has been as long as 8 or 9 weeks.
Dec 27, 2009
319 posts
124 upvotes
Hi Window guy,

We have a century house with wood windows. I'm sure the previous owners dropped a pocket-full of coin on these unique shaped windows, with pretty brass hardware, but I'm constanty fighting mould and moisture! is there a company that will repair these, or do I have to hand my firstborn over to say, RIDLEY to have them replaced with a wood that doesnt go funky? Its a craftsman style home- is there a company that would manufacture and install a mission/craftsman style windows and doors?
Mar 1, 2005
98 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
learning wrote:
Jan 24th, 2010 12:34 am
The only problem I've ever had with Oran is delivery time. Usually its 4 weeks but in fall it has been as long as 8 or 9 weeks.
Ok. So that's inline with the information we recevied as well.
Feb 28, 2009
134 posts
14 upvotes
Hi Window Guy,
I just had a set of vinyl renovation windows installed on Friday and I'm not sure it was properly done. I had my father-in-law (retired builder) watch them as I had to work that day.

The first issue I noticed when I returned home is that 6 of 7 windows on the upper floor have a gap (.5 to 1.5") between the outside casing and outside wall. Any idea why the installers might have done this? I expect to hear back from the installer soon and would like to arm myself with as much info as I can.

The second thing I noticed is a draft at the corner of one of the units (haven't had a chance to check the others yet). I can actually see daylight through a gap between the sill (improperly fitted, done by previous owner) and drywall at this corner. What measures are contractors normally expected to take to fill gaps in the window opening? I had given my father-in-law a few cans of Good Stuff for Windows to give to the installers to fill any gaps and they declined it b/c they said they bring their own foam to fill 'large' gaps.

I would appreciate any info you can provide on this situation and the install process in general.
Nov 22, 2009
36 posts
2 upvotes
Kingston
Cilucia wrote:
Jan 21st, 2010 2:45 pm
The new windows are smaller than the original windows, and they said it was due to the brickmould they installed. First of all, the original measurements they used for the contract were the same as the existing windows. The salesman never disclosed that the new windows would have to be smaller because of the brickmould... if he did, my parents would not have signed the contract. I don't know if this was poor business practice or just negligence. The subcontractor came to remeasure and never disclosed the measurements... Secondly, a third party contractor said Rona could have used a smaller brickmould size to ensure the windows were the correct/original size, so we know we could have gotten better window sizes with another contractor.

The most frustrating part of this whole ordeal is how Rona is responding to us. They aren't taking any steps to ensure their product/services are at an acceptable standard, instead they are just reacting to our complaints. And we are only complaining about things that are obviously wrong, but what about things can't see or don't know about? How many things could be wrong and we don't even realize it? I really have no trust anymore in Rona and their subcontractors. My parents decided to go with a big company because they got burned before on a small contractor - lordy how they were wrong!

No customer in their right mind would find our installation acceptable, yet the subcontractors were happy to leave cracked hardware, poorly insultated windows (it is cold around the windows), and skip the moisture barriers entirely. It really angers me that they have no pride in their work.

I feel the worst for my mom, though. If she has to wake up every day and look at those windows, I know she'll feel horrible each day she lives there :(

Anyway, thanks again for letting me vent and giving me advice. I really appreciate everyone's response. At the very least, we will make sure they fix all the damaged hardware and use low-exp foam and moisture/vapour barriers (and caulk around the shims) to properly insulate. Unfortunately, my mom is livid about the size of windows she has to live with now though (they were small to begin with). Aghh. I'll keep you all updated!
Sorry for your bad experience just a word to the wise for anyone. Try to use a Window company that has their own installers preferable one that deals only in windows and doors. Some companies use the same contractors over and over and say they will stand behind the work, but if a major problem occurs they have a way out. The Blame Game.
Nov 22, 2009
36 posts
2 upvotes
Kingston
ROCKNROLLA wrote:
Jan 25th, 2010 10:39 am
Hi Window Guy,
I just had a set of vinyl renovation windows installed on Friday and I'm not sure it was properly done. I had my father-in-law (retired builder) watch them as I had to work that day.

The first issue I noticed when I returned home is that 6 of 7 windows on the upper floor have a gap (.5 to 1.5") between the outside casing and outside wall. Any idea why the installers might have done this? I expect to hear back from the installer soon and would like to arm myself with as much info as I can.

The second thing I noticed is a draft at the corner of one of the units (haven't had a chance to check the others yet). I can actually see daylight through a gap between the sill (improperly fitted, done by previous owner) and drywall at this corner. What measures is the contractor normally expected to take to fill gaps in the window opening? I had given my father-in-law a few cans of Good Stuff for Windows to give to the installers to fill any gaps and they declined it b/c they said they bring their own foam to fill 'large' gaps.

I would appreciate any info you can provide on this situation and the install process in general.
HI
Did they use a brickmold on the exterior or flashing either way there should be no gaps. If they flashed maybe they missed those ones. You certainly should not have any air coming through. Did you do full removal or inserts, if inserts your draft could be coming from the old window casing. Hope I was of help.
Jan 24, 2010
14 posts
Brampton
Hey window guy,

I have bay windows and the draft that comes from it is unreal. What can I do? I don't want to put the film on the windows.
Nov 22, 2009
36 posts
2 upvotes
Kingston
windowexpert wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2010 2:02 am
northstar
strassburger
?
?
Gentek
sorry cant really tell you about the other two
agree except I would move strassburger down a couple
Jan 20, 2010
11 posts
Goderich
Evan based on the differences in cost you would still buy Northstar over strassburger
Dec 10, 2008
78 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton
BKDDC wrote:
Jan 26th, 2010 4:28 pm
agree except I would move strassburger down a couple
Other than the fact that you sell North Star what reason do you have for your comment.
Nov 22, 2009
36 posts
2 upvotes
Kingston
Specs wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 9:19 am
Other than the fact that you sell North Star what reason do you have for your comment.
the company is just as good if not better than the window itself
Dec 10, 2008
78 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton
BKDDC wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 11:15 am
the company is just as good if not better than the window itself
This still doesn't explain why you think Strassburger should be rated a few positions lower. I guess they must be one of your most difficult competitors, if all you can say is that they should rank lower.
Strassburger has a much tighter window than North Star (see link in a previous post), has many more available options (colours, glass, brickoulds interior finishes etc.), has 20-25% more vinyl content (stronger welds and more insulating chambers), and has a much more stable vinyl, North Stars expansion & contraction rate is approx 2 1/2% as compared to approx 1%.

Don't get me wrong, North Star builds a decent window, and for the price (normally 10-20% lower) they can offer a good deal, but when they are more expensive it doesn't add up to a better value.

Also North Star has files for bankruptcy protection. Now they should be fine, but their parent company Atrium is having problems

CCAA Records
North Star Manufacturing (London) Limited.
File Information

Court File Number:
10-8546-00CL
Court and Judicial District:
Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List), Ontario
OSB File Number:
0000018-2010-ON
Initial Order:
January 20, 2010
Monitor's web page for the proceedings*:
ey.com/ca/northstar

Atrium Companies, the Dallas-based firm that bills itself as North America's biggest manufacturer of residential vinyl and aluminum windows and patio doors, announced yesterday it had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection from creditors as part of a restructuring agreement with more than two-thirds of its secured lenders.

"Atrium intends to move forward with the restructuring on an expeditious basis and complete the restructuring process in approximately three to four months," the company said in a news release. The restructuring includes a $125 million investment from Kenner & Co., Atrium's current majority equity owner, and co-investor Golden Gate Capital. In return, Kenner and Golden Gate will get equity in a reorganized Atrium as well as refinancing of the senior debt obligations that they hold.

Atrium has secured $40 million in debtor-in-possession financing, which should, when combined with ongoing cash flow and existing cash, provide liquidity for its operations, the company said.

"Atrium and each of its subsidiaries intend to operate as usual during the debt restructuring process, and existing management will remain in place," it said. "The company expects to deliver on all commitments to customers and honor all warranties in the normal course. The company does not anticipate any layoffs or facility closings as a result of the debt restructuring and plans to continue to pay all employee wages and benefits in the normal and ordinary course. Suppliers will be paid under normal terms for goods and services provided after the filing date of Jan. 20. In addition, and subject to its approval, the Plan provides for the payment in full in cash of all valid claims for goods and services provided to the company before the filing, during which time the Company has remained current on all of its trade-related payment obligations."

Atrium's current management team is expected to remain in place.

"The balance sheet restructuring announced today will substantially reduce our outstanding debt and put Atrium in a much stronger financial position to grow our business over the long term," said Gregory T. Faherty, Atrium's president and CEO. "We have already done the hard work of lowering our cost structure and reducing excess capacity in light of the difficult environment under which we have been operating for more than three years. And, we are already experiencing the positive impact of these initiatives through increased profitability. Now, as part of the restructuring announced today, we will put in place a healthier capital structure that is more appropriate to the current size of the market, while freeing up additional cash that can be invested in future growth as the housing market rebounds. Once our balance sheet is right-sized, Atrium will be more competitive than ever."

Atrium's major brands are Atrium, Safe Harbor, HR Windows, Danvid Windows and Doors, Thermal Industries, Superior Windows and Doors, Champion Window, Darby Doors, and North Star Vinyl Windows and Doors. North Star Manufacturing (London) Limited.
Nov 22, 2009
36 posts
2 upvotes
Kingston
Specs wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 12:41 pm
This still doesn't explain why you think Strassburger should be rated a few positions lower. I guess they must be one of your most difficult competitors, if all you can say is that they should rank lower.
Strassburger has a much tighter window than North Star (see link in a previous post), has many more available options (colours, glass, brickoulds interior finishes etc.), has 20-25% more vinyl content (stronger welds and more insulating chambers), and has a much more stable vinyl, North Stars expansion & contraction rate is approx 2 1/2% as compared to approx 1%.

Don't get me wrong, North Star builds a decent window, and for the price (normally 10-20% lower) they can offer a good deal, but when they are more expensive it doesn't add up to a better value.

Also North Star has files for bankruptcy protection. Now they should be fine, but their parent company Atrium is having problems

CCAA Records
North Star Manufacturing (London) Limited.
File Information

Court File Number:
10-8546-00CL
Court and Judicial District:
Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List), Ontario
OSB File Number:
0000018-2010-ON
Initial Order:
January 20, 2010
Monitor's web page for the proceedings*:
ey.com/ca/northstar

Atrium Companies, the Dallas-based firm that bills itself as North America's biggest manufacturer of residential vinyl and aluminum windows and patio doors, announced yesterday it had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection from creditors as part of a restructuring agreement with more than two-thirds of its secured lenders.

"Atrium intends to move forward with the restructuring on an expeditious basis and complete the restructuring process in approximately three to four months," the company said in a news release. The restructuring includes a $125 million investment from Kenner & Co., Atrium's current majority equity owner, and co-investor Golden Gate Capital. In return, Kenner and Golden Gate will get equity in a reorganized Atrium as well as refinancing of the senior debt obligations that they hold.

Atrium has secured $40 million in debtor-in-possession financing, which should, when combined with ongoing cash flow and existing cash, provide liquidity for its operations, the company said.

"Atrium and each of its subsidiaries intend to operate as usual during the debt restructuring process, and existing management will remain in place," it said. "The company expects to deliver on all commitments to customers and honor all warranties in the normal course. The company does not anticipate any layoffs or facility closings as a result of the debt restructuring and plans to continue to pay all employee wages and benefits in the normal and ordinary course. Suppliers will be paid under normal terms for goods and services provided after the filing date of Jan. 20. In addition, and subject to its approval, the Plan provides for the payment in full in cash of all valid claims for goods and services provided to the company before the filing, during which time the Company has remained current on all of its trade-related payment obligations."

Atrium's current management team is expected to remain in place.

"The balance sheet restructuring announced today will substantially reduce our outstanding debt and put Atrium in a much stronger financial position to grow our business over the long term," said Gregory T. Faherty, Atrium's president and CEO. "We have already done the hard work of lowering our cost structure and reducing excess capacity in light of the difficult environment under which we have been operating for more than three years. And, we are already experiencing the positive impact of these initiatives through increased profitability. Now, as part of the restructuring announced today, we will put in place a healthier capital structure that is more appropriate to the current size of the market, while freeing up additional cash that can be invested in future growth as the housing market rebounds. Once our balance sheet is right-sized, Atrium will be more competitive than ever."

Atrium's major brands are Atrium, Safe Harbor, HR Windows, Danvid Windows and Doors, Thermal Industries, Superior Windows and Doors, Champion Window, Darby Doors, and North Star Vinyl Windows and Doors. North Star Manufacturing (London) Limited.
all I can say is that we have very little issues therefore great value.more vinyl not always better. North Star uses a compound premium blend.most dont use this blend because of cost.what window do you sell.no air or expansion issues in over 20 years.