• Jun 28th, 2017 4:30 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3839 posts
1077 upvotes
Moncton

New Porter Direct Toronto-New Brunswick flights via Ottawa

Porter will start Ottawa-Fredericton and Ottawa-Saint John flights starting in late September this year, matching their Ottawa service to Moncton. All 3 routes will start at Billy Bishop Toronto Island airport, giving Fredericton an impressive 3 airlines with direct service to Toronto. Saint John will have 2. Moncton will continue to have 3. How long before Westjet tries Toronto-Saint John direct?

Hat tip Acadie Nouvelle.
https://flyporter.com/en-ca/about-u ... hn+2017+06

October is a bit of an odd time of year to start the new routes. I would have waited until next summer to take advantage of the tourist season. Hopefully Porter has some money in the bank.

Both Saint-John and Fredericton can attract some passengers from Maine. Driving east to fly west might be counterintuitive, but so is flying to Boston, New York or Philadelphia when you want to go to Ontario.

I spent many hours yesterday playing AirTycoon2 on my iPad, getting virtually rich with Bombardier Q400 routes. So I'm eager to see how the nearby real life version plays out. Neither Fredericton nor Saint-John have train service anymore. The old Saint-John train via Maine to Montreal would have transported hundreds of passengers every night between the two cities and onwards to Ontario. So I figure there should be enough interest to fill a 78 passenger plane. Although Ottawa is still no Montreal.

AirCanada will continue to enjoy their Montrel-NewBrunswick air monopoly. Although Montreal is much closer by land than Toronto, Maine and their lack of a direct highway offers a physical barrier. I realize Montreal is an AirCanada hub, but I think Westjet and Porter are leaving money on the table by insisting on being exclusive to Ontario.

If sticking to Ontario, Westjet should try Toronto-Bathurst. Although rural, the Bathurst area/Acadian Peninsula has more people than Moncton, many with moneyed relatives out west. Surely it would make more sense than Moncton-Cancun in November!

NewLeaf gave up on NewBrunswick (Moncton), and let's not mention Pascan, Jetsgo or Canjet. Not only are there few people in NewBrunswick, but locals have less money than other Canadians. And much of the industry and corporate set up (Irving) doesn't require trips to the big cities of central Canada. Still, for every local fast-food and retail chain, there is one headquartered in Toronto. And New Brunswick is the nearest salt water Canadian escape from Toronto. Not that you should be flying to Fredericton for the ocean. :)

Maritime Bus to the airport is very convenient, however the schedule is very limited and requires 24 hours advance notice.
Road distances:
Saint-John to Fredericton airport: 98km (direct Maritime Bus link).
Fredericton to Saint-John airport: 121km.
Fredericton to Moncton airport: 188km (Maritime Bus via Moncton).
Moncton to Fredericton airport: 162km (direct Maritime bus link).
Saint-John to Moncton airport: 165km (Maritime Bus via Moncton).
Moncton to Saint-John airport: 148 km.
Moncton to Halifax airport: 231km (direct Maritime Bus link).
Halifax to Moncton airport: 253km (direct Maritime Bus link).
Charlottetown to Moncton airport: 160km (direct Maritime Bus link).
Bathurst to Moncton airport: 216km on a two lane road (direct Maritime Bus link; 3 days a week, the train to nearby Moncton is also an option).

Union Station to Pearson airport: 25km (Express train every 15 minutes).
Union Station to Hamilton airport: 83km

Ottawa airport to Montreal Trudeau airport: 180km by land.
Last edited by MonctonMan on Jun 27th, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4112 posts
238 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 5:13 am
Porter will start Ottawa-Fredericton and Ottawa-Saint John flights starting in late September this year, matching their Ottawa service to Moncton. All 3 routes will start at Billy Bishop Toronto Island airport, giving Fredericton an impressive 3 airlines with direct service to Toronto. Saint John will have 2. Moncton will continue to have 3. How long before Westjet tries Toronto-Saint John direct?

Hat tip Acadie Nouvelle.
https://flyporter.com/en-ca/about-u ... hn+2017+06

October is a bit of an odd time of year to start the new routes. I would have waited until next summer to take advantage of the tourist season. Hopefully Porter has some money in the bank.

Both Saint-John and Fredericton can attract some passengers from Maine. Driving east to fly west might be counterintuitive, but so is flying to Boston, New York or Philadelphia when you want to go to Ontario.

I spent many hours yesterday playing AirTycoon2 on my iPad, getting virtually rich with Bombardier Q400 routes. So I'm eager to see how the nearby real life version plays out. Neither Fredericton nor Saint-John have train service anymore. The old Saint-John train via Maine to Montreal would have transported hundreds of passengers every night between the two cities and onwards to Ontario. So I figure there should be enough interest to fill a 78 passenger plane. Although Ottawa is still no Montreal.

AirCanada will continue to enjoy their Montrel-NewBrunswick air monopoly. Although Montreal is much closer by land than Toronto, Maine and their lack of a direct highway offers a physical barrier. I realize Montreal is an AirCanada hub, but I think Westjet and Porter are leaving money on the table by insisting on being exclusive to Ontario.

If sticking to Ontario, Westjet should try Toronto-Bathurst. Although rural, the Bathurst area/Acadian Peninsula has more people than Moncton, many with moneyed relatives out west. Surely it would make more sense than Moncton-Cancun in November!

NewLeaf gave up on NewBrunswick (Moncton), and let's not mention Pascan, Jetsgo or Canjet. Not only are there few people in NewBrunswick, but locals have less money than other Canadians. And much of the industry and corporate set up (Irving) doesn't require trips to the big cities of central Canada. Still, for every local fast-food and retail chain, there is one headquartered in Toronto. And New Brunswick is the nearest salt water Canadian escape from Toronto. Not that you should be flying to Fredericton for the ocean. :)

Maritime Bus to the airport is very convenient, however the schedule is very limited and requires 24 hours advance notice.
Saint-John to Fredericton airport: 98km (direct Maritime Bus link).
Fredericton to Saint-John airport: 121km.
Fredericton to Moncton airport: 188km (Maritime Bus via Moncton).
Moncton to Fredericton airport: 162km (direct Maritime bus link).
Saint-John to Moncton airport: 165km (Maritime Bus via Moncton).
Moncton to Saint-John airport: 148 km.
Moncton to Halifax airport: 231km (direct Maritime Bus link).
Halifax to Moncton airport: 253km (direct Maritime Bus link).
Charlottetown to Moncton airport: 160km (direct Maritime Bus link).
Bathurst to Moncton airport: 216km on a two lane road (direct Maritime Bus link; 3 days a week, the train to nearby Moncton is also an option).

Union Station to Pearson airport: 25km (Express train every 15 minutes).
Union Station to Hamilton airport: 83km

Ottawa airport to Montreal Trudeau airport: 180km.
Interesting, especially since I was looking at going to visit a friend in Fredericton this fall, although I'd still rather fly non-stop. Especially if the price is the almost the same.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18532 posts
2044 upvotes
Montreal
MonctonMan wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 5:13 am
Ottawa airport to Montreal Trudeau airport: 180km.
Porter does not offer a direct flight from MTL to NB, only Halifax. To go to Moncton, I was being routed back to Toronto, the via Ottawa! AC already has direct Montreal-Moncton, MTl-ST John flights. They aren't cheap though. I priced them at 1300$ for three people this summer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3839 posts
1077 upvotes
Moncton
IceBlueShoes wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 6:49 am
Interesting, especially since I was looking at going to visit a friend in Fredericton this fall, although I'd still rather fly non-stop. Especially if the price is the almost the same.
37 extra minutes scheduled by flying Porter direct via Ottawa. But Porter has free beer. With the Union-Pearson Express train, there isn't a huge time savings by flying via Billy Bishop. On the other hand, most people don't live on top of Union station and the train it isn't exactly free once you get there (unlike the free Union Station to Billy Bishop Airport shuttle bus to the island tunnel). Air Canada can also get you to Fredericton from Billy Bishop, but you will have to change planes in Montreal. And inexplicably there is no poutine in that section of the Trudeau airport. :)

A very agressive move by Porter. Westjet Encore offers 3 direct flights a day to Toronto-Pearson on their Q400. Dito AirCanada on the exact same plane. AirCanada is the only competition on Fredericton to Ottawa

Apparently Saint -John airport hasn't been upgraded in a while, and is prone to shut downs because of fog. So perhaps that is why Porter decided not to concentrate too much on that airport. Saint-John of course has more people and industry than tiny capital city Fredericton. I mean, heck, Saint-John is almost as big as Moncton! ;)
Last edited by MonctonMan on Jun 27th, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3839 posts
1077 upvotes
Moncton
mr_raider wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 7:28 am
Porter does not offer a direct flight from MTL to NB, only Halifax. To go to Moncton, I was being routed back to Toronto, the via Ottawa! AC already has direct Montreal-Moncton, MTl-ST John flights. They aren't cheap though. I priced them at 1300$ for three people this summer.
Thanks. I amended my post to clarify it was by land. Nobody will be going by land from Ottawa airport to Montreal airport, but since Trudeau is on the west side of town, I figured I'd let people do the math to their final destination.

The Montreal-NewBrunswick AirCanada monopoly irks me to no end. It is a 17 hour train trip (and only 3 times a week). Taking the bus is faster, but still a milk run with a middle of the night bus change in Rivière-du-Loup. What I tend to do is book a reasonably priced Moncton-Toronto Air Canada flight via Montreal, and then book a Porter flight from Ottawa back to Moncton (not foolproof, as AirCanada can stick you on a direct Moncton-Toronto flight and, obviously, no checked luggage; unlike some airlines, however, AirCanada can't void your accumulated Aeroplan ponts for breaking AirCanada rules. Although I suppose they could ban you from their airline).

One Christmas I flew back from Montreal via Toronto with Westjet. The detour is annoying. But Pearson airport is bright, clean, heated and there is plenty of room to walk around to kill time. You can't do that on the bus and the flight was cheaper than a bus ticket.

Driving is 4 lanes most of the way now. Moncton to Montreal is a relatively easy 983km drive as long as no moose get in the way (a much slower 924km via Maine).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3839 posts
1077 upvotes
Moncton
Here is a CBC article about it. I love how they point out that Fredericton-Toronto via Ottawa will be cheaper than Fredericton-Ottawa.
http://cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... 63?cmp=rss

I hadn't realized Westjet had been in Saint-John untill 2011.

7 flights to Toronto from Fredericton on 74 passenger Q400 planes, despite the stop in Ottawa for Porter, just seems like too many seats. Although apparently the propeller planes don't have to be particularly full to still be profitable, I can't imagine Westjet and AirCanada are going to let Porter take away their business. I expect some pretty impressive deals between Toronto and Fredericton untill one of them cries uncle. In the case of Moncton, it was Westjet, who quickly abandoned their Moncton-Ottawa service and moved it to Fredericton-Toronto (3 times a day).

I think Porter should offer Saint-John to Toronto via Montreal instead of Ottawa. Westjet is going to have to cut at least one flight between Fredericton and Toronto. Perhaps move one to Saint-John. Or compete head to head with Westjet and offer Toronto-Ottawa-Fredericton (although I think it should be Toronto-Montreal-Fredericton).

Porter should offer Atlantic Canada service to Boston. Their alliance with JetBlue makes that route seem obvious.

Weird that Porter will get a marketing subsidy for their Fredericton to Ottawa flights. It will compete with AirCanada's existing Fredericton to Ottawa CRJ flights.