Hot Deals

[Newegg] Rosewill 5 Port Gigabit Network Switch / Ethernet switch $14.99 ISPU GTA

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8464 posts
2004 upvotes
Toronto

[Newegg] Rosewill 5 Port Gigabit Network Switch / Ethernet switch $14.99 ISPU GTA

Newegg has this Rosewill 5 Port Gigabit Network Switch / Ethernet switch for $14.99 with $4.99 shipping and free pick up in Richmond Hill, for those in the GTA. Can't speak to reliability or durability, but comments are surprisingly positive 6 X 5 star.
AUTO-NEGOTIATION RJ45 PORTS: The feature makes installation hassle-free. Auto MDI/MDIX eliminates the need for crossover cables; Full/half-duplex auto-negotiation senses the speed of a network device and intelligently adjusts for optimization.

https://newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 1475608740
13 replies
Aug 16, 2008
196 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
It is a good deal. I have a couple Trendnet switches which are like double the price. They have been running fine for years now. It's a switch, how many things can go wrong?
Fido $15/3gb less 50% x 3
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8464 posts
2004 upvotes
Toronto
This deal is over in a couple of hours.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2977 posts
646 upvotes
This item shows $19.99 plus $4.99 for me when I click on the link.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8215 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
would love to have an 8 port switch, i loose one for uplink, just more ports to use.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
1456 posts
539 upvotes
Vancouver
DougO wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 7:42 pm
Thanks for that link. I need to get one for my home system. When i add the latest console (Xbox X) I will need another Ethernet port...
Rather than running Powerline adapters (I don't have that many outlets that I can spare), I bought a refurb D-Link AC1750 router and installed Tomato on it. I turned that router effectively into a wireless bridge, and can use all 5 ports for my TV system. Since it is on 5GHz negotiating at 1300Mbps, I can do 80-90MB/s there.

The 5 port switch is really for me to group my smart home devices together as most of them are 100M, I don't want them to use the 1G ports.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
1666 posts
561 upvotes
Prince George
Dukman wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 7:19 pm
It is a good deal. I have a couple Trendnet switches which are like double the price. They have been running fine for years now. It's a switch, how many things can go wrong?
I was running a TrendNet 8-port for a year or two and it stopped working a few weeks ago. Scratched my head and thought the same as you - don't they just work forever?? So I swapped in a brand new one I had as a spare, same model. Worked fine for a couple of days then it died too. WTF??? Turned out I had just plugged it into the old power adapter since it was the same model. Replaced the power adapter with the new one and it works fine. Probably the old switch is fine too; haven't swapped it back in to check.

TL;DR: at least the power adapter can fail.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14149 posts
3127 upvotes
pkphilip wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 1:21 am
Rather than running Powerline adapters (I don't have that many outlets that I can spare), I bought a refurb D-Link AC1750 router and installed Tomato on it. I turned that router effectively into a wireless bridge, and can use all 5 ports for my TV system. Since it is on 5GHz negotiating at 1300Mbps, I can do 80-90MB/s there.

The 5 port switch is really for me to group my smart home devices together as most of them are 100M, I don't want them to use the 1G ports.
There are several DIY sites that show how to make a secondary router into an access point as well as use just the switches in the router. I tried with an old Linksys but it would not connect. Without being able to get into the internals, it's hopeless. I ended up just buying the refurb unit from The Source. I should have it in a couple days...
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1571 posts
162 upvotes
Dukman wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 7:19 pm
Oh they can go wrong. I had one a few years ago - from one of those big consumer brands - which would have a port occasionally freeze or run at the lower speed. You'd have to unplug/replug the cable in question. They look simple to use but the technology inside isn't so simple.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
1456 posts
539 upvotes
Vancouver
DougO wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:04 am
There are several DIY sites that show how to make a secondary router into an access point as well as use just the switches in the router. I tried with an old Linksys but it would not connect. Without being able to get into the internals, it's hopeless. I ended up just buying the refurb unit from The Source. I should have it in a couple days...
I do that too with old router at my parent's place, but the problem is power consumption and size. Real estate is expensive in Vancouver, I think Toronto is too no? lol.