None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11497 posts
1637 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Someone stole my car battery

Just thought I'd share yet another story about my car getting targeted. This time, the thief somehow unlocked my driver door, popped the hood, and stole the battery. My car is from 1985, so the lock can probably be bumped. The last time someone broke into the car (and broke the steering column to hotwire it), there were fingerprints all along the top of the door window -- but not this time.

The car has a car alarm from the mid-90s, but it doesn't seem to work. Does the car alarm need a battery? I put in a new battery for the remote and the alarm still didn't turn on.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1693 posts
245 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I wonder what they could fence that for. Crazy what people will do for drugs.
Aug 3, 2011
410 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
o.O

Car battery would be the last thing on my mind to steal...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11497 posts
1637 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I'm glad they left my bike pump in the trunk untouched!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11497 posts
1637 upvotes
City of Vancouver
To put things in perspective, this past year, some guy stole a car battery from a Canadian Tire in my area of the city and then tried to carjack a few people to get away:

http://vancitybuzz.com/2014/03/man- ... vancouver/

I am so fed up with the scuzzy people in this part of town!!!!!!! It's like Surrey or something!!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4165 posts
172 upvotes
North York
jmatheson64 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2014 9:19 pm
I wonder what they could fence that for. Crazy what people will do for drugs.
Probably an eight-ball or something like that? I'm sure there are drug dealers who have cars or have others in their network that could use a battery. It might be worth more money but to someone who needs a fix, they'll trade it for ANYTHING.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Jul 12, 2014
89 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That really sucks. People are despicable sometimes.

Out of curiosity, what type of car?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14488 posts
3961 upvotes
That is very strange, i've heard of the acid being used to make drugs (and the unfortunate victims who consume those drugs), but batteries can be acquired easily for not much money and are untraceable.

Get a better alarm system ;)
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
3549 posts
575 upvotes
GTEH!
Truly bizarre. Car battery being stolen. It takes a few minutes to loosen the battery clamps.
What this world is turning into.....................
😎
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4168 posts
436 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Becks wrote:
Dec 19th, 2014 9:15 pm
The car has a car alarm from the mid-90s, but it doesn't seem to work. Does the car alarm need a battery? I put in a new battery for the remote and the alarm still didn't turn on.
Yes car alarm requires battery in car.

Some older cars from 80's you can open hood front of car with screwdriver from grill area easily. No need to go from inside car to open hood.

Once theif opened hood, chances are your 90's alarm doesn't have a hood pin so alarm didn't go off( or if it has pin, theif probable held down pin with one hand while loosening battery or just cut the alarm power wire ), and then all they did was disconnect battery and walked away.

Now worse thing is, its not worth putting in insurance claim as new battery will be cheaper to replace than deductable or claim used if $0 deductable.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11497 posts
1637 upvotes
City of Vancouver
^ there is a car alarm. It just hasn't worked in 10 yrs.
Vantage007 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2014 1:59 am
That really sucks. People are despicable sometimes.

Out of curiosity, what type of car?
^ Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Brougham edition.

Yes, the block I live on sucks because it is neighbouring an alcohol establishment. Also, there are drug addicts everywhere. One guy lurking near my car actually got shot by cops the same night I confronted him. I have also had someone take a poop twice behind my car (years apart). Whenever I talk to the insurance people, like when my license plates are stolen and need replacing, they say this kind of stuff is rare.
Jan 30, 2013
522 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver
Whenever I want a car to disappear, I park it in Surrey.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
That sucks, I guess some peopel get a charge out of that kinda thing.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1667 posts
544 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I knew someone that had their alternator stolen from their truck. It was parked at one of those park and ride lots for our rail system out here.

So Damn sad.