Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 4, 2005
988 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga

The Value of a 2003 Acura 3.2TL Type S A-Spec

Hey guys, I was just wondering the value of this car is because i personally own one. I asked the Acura dealer and they said my car would drop $20, 000. IMO I think thats ridiculous because this car original price was $51, 000. I would just like some of your inputs. By the way, the car only has 15, 000km and it one of the 800 A-Spec TL'S made in Canada. The colour is blue.

Thanks.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28096 posts
3754 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Buying a car is not an investment. It is a necessity.

I hate the fact that, as soon as you drive off the lot, the car depreciates 20%.

I don't doubt what the dealer said about your car. Luxury cars drop at a higher rate than economy cars.

I don't have a black book, but a good indication would be to look at Auto Trader and see what your car would sell for.

My guess would be around $35,000, so the dealer is not far off as he would want to buy it for $30,000 in order to sell it for $35,000
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1260 posts
34 upvotes
not out of the ordinary, i looked on auto trader right now. The most expensive one is 29,000$ with 48k. So since yours is extra low, you may get a few more $$. The reason for huge depreciation is the model revision. With the new TL prices has plummet.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18371 posts
285 upvotes
YVR
Yea man, you're forgetting the fact that car values depreciate rapidly. Unless your car is that special and that it's truly a limited production model, then you may get more, but it's not. You really shouldn't let that discourage you though cuz car values don't go up unless it's that special.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14359 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga
TypeS_A-Spec wrote:Hey guys, I was just wondering the value of this car is because i personally own one. I asked the Acura dealer and they said my car would drop $20, 000. IMO I think thats ridiculous because this car original price was $51, 000. I would just like some of your inputs. By the way, the car only has 15, 000km and it one of the 800 A-Spec TL'S made in Canada. The colour is blue.

Thanks.
$51,000 for a TL?!?!

Best to go over to some Acura forum websites, u might be able to find someone else willing to buy it.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Low: $26,450.00 High: $28,700.00

Price from the red books. :)
[OP]
Mar 4, 2005
988 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for all the replies guys. I understand the depreciation of the cars. But i just thought $23, 000 is ridiculous. If I were to sell it, I would sell it within the 32-36,000 range since its still a brand new car. Less then 15, 000km on it.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14359 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga
TypeS_A-Spec wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys. I understand the depreciation of the cars. But i just thought $23, 000 is ridiculous. If I were to sell it, I would sell it within the 32-36,000 range since its still a brand new car. Less then 15, 000km on it.
Retail Price - $51,000
Selling Price $36,000 (assuming anyone would buy it at that price.)
Difference $15,000
Total KMs 15,000
$/km cost $1.00

Say you do 3000km/month, that means u have made only 5 car payments.

Anyone applying for a loan for this car would be granted book value and nothing more. So if u ask for $36,000 and the bank says its worth $28,000, the buyer would have to come up with $8,000 on their own, assuming they weren't scared off by the banks numbers.

Why on earth would you even remotely consider selling the car?
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
19 upvotes
No one is going to buy it for 35,000. Your car will depreciate fast, its funny because people give me a wierd look when I say my 2002 Honda CR-V is worth the same (or more) as their 2002 Acura TL.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2005
988 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm just testing the waters. I just wanted to see if the quote the dealers gave me was accurate. Apparently to you guys, it is close, few thousands off. I am going to keep the car. But if i get a good offer on the car, I might decide to sell it and buy the 2006 BMW 325i, 2005 Infiniti G35, 2005 Mercedes C-Class, wait for the 2006 Lexus IS350, or even consider the new TL . Anyone have opinions on these cars and which is the better choices?
Jun 3, 2004
177 posts
sell it privately.. you would probably get something close to $30k

my 2000 accord was $36k with taxes and everything.. now $10k

if you decide to buy a bimmer or other luxury cars as you mentioned.. expect the depreciation to be more than your TL
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes
Yeah you probably won't get much more than $30,000 for it. Why would you sell the car after only a couple years and especially if you don't use it very much? 15k is NOTHING. I'm not even sure how that's possible in 2-3 years. Wow.

If you are willing to spend $20,000 each few years on a car and drive it very little... just get a 36month lease so you don't have to bother with selling it.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
TypeS_A-Spec wrote:I asked the Acura dealer and they said my car would drop $20, 000. IMO I think thats ridiculous because this car original price was $51, 000. I would just like some of your inputs. By the way, the car only has 15, 000km and it one of the 800 A-Spec TL'S made in Canada.
Was he clear about whether he was talking about the rough trade-in value of the car if you bought a new one from them? or the book value? There is a big difference as everyone above has mentioned
silverek wrote:my 2000 accord was $36k with taxes and everything.. now $10k
Wow... nice car. You must have the Ex-V6! Almost got one in 2000.
May 4, 2005
342 posts
8 upvotes
hey, I'm actually in the market looking to buy a used car. Have been looking at VW Passat's and Honda Accords...

I actually went to see a 2003 Acura 3.2 TL (not the Type S A spec)... fully loaded etc etc. 19,000km. so i'd say pretty similar to your car aside from the type S.

The gentleman was asking $22,000... so if that's his private market price... (he also said he had a repair shop... so i'm sure he knew what the car was worth) I'm sure dealer valuation would be much lower...
so put two and two together... $20,000 from your dealer sounds about right.
goodluck selling it for $32-36K... I know I wouldn't pay that much... no where near in fact. If you can find someone to buy it for $30 even... sell sell sell!!
IMO... you'd be lucky to get $25-27 for it. I know it hurts to think your car is worth that much...

i find this with a lot of ppl selling cars... and it's EVEN worse with ppl selling computers (as we all know those things depreciate like nobody's business.) people spend a fair amount and think that 2 years later they're still worth a lot... i hate to be the barer of bad news... but they're not... PS: sellers that get personally offended by offers lower than their asking price... shouldn't even be selling. ugh... i won't get into it...

anyway... i'd have to check the history on that TL make sure it hasn't been in an accident or anything (I don't think it has)... oh... that reminds me... does anyone know of anyway to check vehicle history... for FREE!!... like carfax charges...

anyway... g'luck selling your TL-type S... if you think $32000 is the least you'd take for it... i would suggest holding on to it and not wasting your time selling it, because you'll find yourself very frustrated when you don't get offers for that much.

peace in the middle east, and the rexdale streets.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2005
988 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
Hey guys. Over the weekend i headed over to a Lexus dealership to get my car appraised. To my surpirse the dealer offered me $24k on the spot. With tax included it came out to be $28k. That is a pretty decent price as you would also get the tax as savings. We were looking at the Lexus ES330, a car I'm not a fan of. The ES330 on the road came out to be $48k. Thats a $20k difference between teh two cars. I asked the dealer i want to trade in my TL for the ES330, but I would only consider taking the ES330 today if I only have to pay $16k on top. After long negotiating and talking to the manager, the offer was on the table. My car was priced at $28 + tax savings came out to be $32k. I first thought they wouldn't do it, but now they are and I have to make a decision by friday. Persohally, I do not like the ES330, its not sport enough. And since the new IS is coming out ina few months i thought I'll wait for it. If you were in similar situation, what would you do?