Automotive

Why are radar detectors illegal in most of Canada but not usa?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2017 9:02 am
[OP]
Banned
Jan 9, 2017
225 posts
56 upvotes

Why are radar detectors illegal in most of Canada but not usa?

It seems silly that everything is illegal here, any real reason or just revenue?
38 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5209 posts
3294 upvotes
North York
implyingdoesitforfree wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 8:54 pm
It seems silly that everything is illegal here, any real reason or just revenue?
tell that to the people doing torrents
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30656 posts
7555 upvotes
GTHA
Radar detectors are legal in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan, but for the rest of the country, any type of device that warns about a law enforcement speed gun is illegal.
http://theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... e22574104/
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16802 posts
1314 upvotes
Woodbridge
I guess it's because they don't rely on Fines like up here?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6970 posts
5187 upvotes
Oakville
Who needs a radar detector when we have Waze?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1054 posts
284 upvotes
Law enforcement will probably tell you that it's because radar detectors promote speeding and dangerous driving by giving drivers a heads up on locations allowing them to change their driving accordingly. And while I think there is certainly some merit to that statement i'm sure it's also about $$$.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1092 posts
327 upvotes
SaskBerta
Here in Medicine Hat, AB the police post daily where they put their speed radar photo boxes and it's announced on the radio as well.

Being from Ontario I found that weird.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5162 posts
1075 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I thought this was a pepsi thread.

Anyways answer is obvious... because it works against government making money from tickets? They are legal in BC, Alberta, Sask.
Apr 5, 2010
780 posts
41 upvotes
Lol, funny they are made and manufactured in Toronto, Ontario, yet are illegal to use in Ontario.
May 14, 2010
934 posts
69 upvotes
Halifax
Speaking of confusing have you ever seen the bicycle helmet laws in Canada? Meaning you are required to wear an approved helmet when you are riding. the provinces are split between, Required by everyone, only minors and no one.

British Columbia: All ages
New Brunswick: All ages
Newfoundland and Labrador: All ages
Nova Scotia: All ages
Prince Edward Island: All ages

Alberta: Minors
Manitoba: Minors
Ontario: Minors

Quebec: No law
Saskatchewan: No law
Yukon: No law
Northwest Territories: No law
Nunavut: No law
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14708 posts
5022 upvotes
The reason is more based on our societal values versus the US. The US is a much more free country - you often face fewer restrictions to your personal liberties. Canada on the other hand believes in restricting personal liberties for the greater good.

Each is different, neither is right or wrong.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
Last post is absolutely correct. Canadians love to be micromanaged by their political overlords. Heaven forbid we enjoy free will in Ontario. Shame on us
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1092 posts
327 upvotes
SaskBerta
theguru wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 10:56 am
Last post is absolutely correct. Canadians love to be micromanaged by their political overlords. Heaven forbid we enjoy free will in Ontario. Shame on us
Ontario is definitely the nanny state of Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6970 posts
5187 upvotes
Oakville
TrevorK wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 10:28 am
The reason is more based on our societal values versus the US. The US is a much more free country - you often face fewer restrictions to your personal liberties. Canada on the other hand believes in restricting personal liberties for the greater good.

Each is different, neither is right or wrong.
lol at the USA being "more free" than Canada. In some ways they are but in many they are less free, especially with civil rights and what you do in your own home. Their privacy is less free, copyright, medicare/drugs/right to healthcare, right to clean environment, civil forfeiture, etc. Making corporations people also diminishes the rights of humans. If they had a real libertarian elected they'd be better off.